Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Great idea for functional storage!!!
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 28 Jan 2015 19:52

A friend sent me this picture and I SO want to use this idea! I'm wondering if it might be possible and more cost-effective, though, to consider the steps like boxes and install sturdy hidden hinges on the inside of the top of each step so they can open. Or would that make the steps unstable?

In any case, what a cool idea for hidden storage.

https://www.facebook.com/translee/photos/a.196863087006471.58812.193981007294679/9931 11160714989/?type=1&pnref=story

smallworks
# Posted: 28 Jan 2015 20:23

My husband did this when we built our house 22 years ago. I think if you could install a small track, like in a kitchen drawer, they would be more flexible. Occasionally I open them and they are a little rough, but I loved the idea then and still recommend it. Good luck!

gunslinger22
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 09:45

I'm just imagining walking down those stairs at night when one of those drawers is half open.

rmak
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 11:00

Don't forget the back of the steps if you have access to them from behind. At our old farmhouse I put in shelves that attached to the bottom of each step. They can't be too big and don't hold a lot of weight, but great for jars and cans.

creeky
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 11:16

the photo shows the treads are supported by a frame. so your hinges don't have to be that strong. the tread weight goes on the side panels.

URL has plans on how to build these.

you could tilt your slides back just a titch to ensure they close automatically. but really. i wouldn't think these would be for daily use. more like storing seasonal stuff. or jars and cans.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.