Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Ceiling Ideas
Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 14 Mar 2015 20:38

Hey everyone. It's been a long winter but it's time to start working on the cabin again. I was just wondering how you finished your ceiling? Paint? Ceiling Tile? Tongue and groove flooring? Barn metal? OSB raw? I still have a lot of work to do in my place and I'm wanting to see pictures of your ideas or just the ideas themselves.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 08:19

downstairs bedroom i did new corrugated tin from HD,,,,bright and looks good.....bathroom t&g pine....mud room /upstairs bedroom /kitchen area/den ~~19 foot ceiling in there with 3 red cedar beams....just did not want it all the same type material.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 21:10

We're thinking about using corrugated tin for our bedroom ceiling. I'd be interested in seeing pics of yours.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 16 Mar 2015 09:13

Did my camp with tongue & groove pine - very happy with it. ALso notice a screw up with the fridge - didn;t realize that most propane fridge need to be on an exterior wall for venting!
100_1856.JPG
100_1856.JPG

mwwilli
# Posted: 16 Mar 2015 15:08

Here is an example of using cedar fence boards. I purchased all the boards I needed and a budget friendly craftsman planer. All the boards were dried, planed, routed (lap), and put up. The price of the ceiling excluding the planer was equal to that of OSB.

This is my first post and hope that it helps!
Cabin Ceiling.jpg
Cabin Ceiling.jpg

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 16 Mar 2015 19:35

Thanks for the pics! Keep em coming!

brianjwesley
# Posted: 27 Mar 2015 20:48

Here is mine.
20141029_184922.jpg
20141029_184922.jpg

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 27 Mar 2015 21:21

We ended up deciding on using some white paneling for the ceiling. We've cut them up into 4x4' squares and we're going to cover the seams with some dark wood trim (yet to be determined.) Got about 2/3 of the paneling up and my broken elbow decided I had done enough so I'll finish it up next weekend. Maybe between now and then we'll decide on some trim.

FishHog
# Posted: 28 Mar 2015 09:48

white will really brighten things up if you have a dark cabin. Our new to us place was plywood with strapping over the seams. Place was dark. We gutted it, so took the opportunity to take in the paint sprayer and spray the entire ceiling white (actually Mrs fishie did the painting while I was in the attic running 12v wiring.)
The difference when I walked into it with white ceiling was amazing. Even at night now a few lights keep it very bright.

jaransont3
# Posted: 28 Mar 2015 22:29

We went with Knotty Barnside Paneling from Lowes. It comes in 4x8 foot sheets and has a realistic light color and lots of texture. Went up fast and looks great under our dark wood beams.

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 00:44 - Edited by: Gary O

Our cabin is rather simple.
2x6 roof
Thus, exposed 2x6s for the ceiling
kitchen
kitchen
CABIN_FRONT.jpg
CABIN_FRONT.jpg
69685_4_o.jpg
69685_4_o.jpg

MJW
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 13:49

We did our ceilings and actually the entire interior of the place with 6 inch wide pine car siding.

Flipped it over and did the floors with it, too.
DSCN0266.JPG
DSCN0266.JPG
DSCN0204.JPG
DSCN0204.JPG
DSCN0412.JPG
DSCN0412.JPG
DSCN0424.JPG
DSCN0424.JPG

thetick
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 22:34

No pics yet, but we went with rough cut pine (1x6's) for the interior. Tar paper on the walls and ceiling then butted the boards and nailed. Cost? .38 per sq foot. Looks great and cheaper than unfinished drywall.

Kudzu
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 13:54

Tin always looks good.

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 20:23 - Edited by: bldginsp

I went to a fence contractor who sells old weathered redwood fencing for a dollar a stick. $100 to do 400 sq ft of ceiling. Rustic, to say the least

bukhntr
# Posted: 13 Apr 2015 22:23

In the end we chose the t&G pine for the ceiling. I had wanted it originally for the warm look, but on a budget build my second choice was to get the stucco/textured look wall paneling from menards (DPI Earth Stones 4' x 8' Paintable Hacienda Stucco Hardboard Wall Panel) I was going to use latex caulk on the seams, stipple it and knock it down to match the texture of the panels to hide the seams. Hope that makes sense. The main reasons were simplicity to complete the job and not having to sand drywall overhead. I also considered building faux beams to cover the seams but it would have really added cost. Not sure if you have a menards close by but they run a great sale on their thin t&g pine buy one get one pack free a couple of times a year. It really made the choice easy then. I was a little concerned about the thickness but it really installs nice, we have had it up for two years now. I even bought more and ripped the tongue off for baseboard and made a narrower rip for casing. Super cheap, trimmed the whole cabin for $30. Good luck
t&g ceiling
t&g ceiling
DPI Earth Stones 4' x 8' Paintable Hacienda Stucco Hardboard Wall Panel
DPI Earth Stones 4' x 8' Paintable Hacienda Stucco Hardboard Wall Panel
ripped T&G as casing
ripped T&G as casing

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 14 Apr 2015 10:50 - Edited by: Bzzzzzt

Well, this is what we decided to do in the bedroom for the ceiling. I bought 4x8 sheets of white paneling and cut them into 4x4 sections and then put up trim to cover the seams. My wife is very pleased, which is the most important part in my book.

As far as Menards goes, our main home is in Kansas City and there is one just north of us in St Joseph. We do go there occasionally but our cabin is in north Arkansas so it's in the wrong direction. The closest one to our cabin is in Lake Ozark, quite a long way from either the house or the cabin.
WP_20150410_0031.j.jpg
WP_20150410_0031.j.jpg
WP_20150410_0011.j.jpg
WP_20150410_0011.j.jpg
WP_20150410_0021.j.jpg
WP_20150410_0021.j.jpg

don62
# Posted: 20 Apr 2015 17:41

I did a T&G Knotty pine on the outer 2 feet and corrugated tin on the inside space,, looked so good I did it in the bedroom too.

BigDuke6
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 13:07

MJW, I like what you have done. I have a similar bunkhouse that is unfinished inside. Where did you source your interior wood from? And, how did you vent the roof?

Trevordw
# Posted: 6 Feb 2016 01:35

jaransont3
Would you be able to post more pics. Are the rafters 4 feet apart?

KinAlberta
# Posted: 6 Feb 2016 02:43

We have those white interlocking pressed cardboard tiles. I hate them. Would love to rip out the 8' ceiling and create a cathedral ceiling.

Thinking that just painting them any colour but white (say a greenish-grey) may give the cabin a nicer feel. White is great as a trim colour around windows, etc. but a whole ceiling in a knotty pine walled cabin just doesn't look very nice at all.

Don_P
# Posted: 6 Feb 2016 09:05

Do remember that the ceiling joists are part of the roof structure, they keep the walls from spreading.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 6 Feb 2016 19:09

We went with 8 inch wide T & G pine with a v-notch for the upstairs and downstairs used 1/4 inch panels like a drop ceiling. Panels can be taken out and put back in very easily.
DSCN0039.JPG
DSCN0039.JPG
DSCN0862.JPG
DSCN0862.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.