Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ridge vent question
Snuffy
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 09:13

We had a metal roof put on that uses a continuous ridge vent. We are having a huge problem with paper wasps coming in through the vent. There is no insect barrier. I want to staple aluminum window screen on the underside of the gap in the roof sheets. Will this create a problem? The builder wants me to leave it alone and said that once I put in the ceiling and insulate it will be too hot for them. I don't see how screen wire would mess up the ventilation. I'm also concerned about bats. Suggestions?

creeky
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 10:03

i don't know how accessible the ridge vent is in terms of taking it off and putting it back on.

but there are vented ridge closure strips designed to let air move through the strip. i used them on my washroom. this keeps bats and other critters from coming in through the ridge.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 10:10

I have a metal roof with a ridge vent also, but the roofer installed a breathable foam, it keeps snow from blowing in and keeps out wasp. So far, 100% effective. There is a product just made for what you need from the metal roofers supply.

rockies
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 19:28

http://www.foamparts.com/Foamparts/uploads/Documents/J&T%20Market%20Specific%20Flyers /english/Closure%20Systems%20Brochure.pdf

There seems to be a product listed in this pdf brochure under the "Vented Closure V-CL 100" section.

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 19:41

The stuff I have seen for this purpose is made of a material similar to the green scrubber pads we have all seen. Might be what Toyota means by a breathable foam. Whatever you use it has to fit around the ribs of the roofing. Often the roofing manufacturers will make a custom shaped material to fit each particular profile they produce, but many of the products are made 'one size fits all' and they squish around the ribs to get a tight fit. Best way to install it is to remove the ridge cap, sand which in the stuff and replace the cap, rather than trying to stuff it under the installed cap. I'd take a sample of my roofing with me to a pro roofing supply house and see which product they have works best.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Apr 2015 12:19 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: rockies

There seems to be a product listed in this pdf brochure under the "Vented Closure V-CL 100" section.

V-CL100 is what I have on mine. It works great! It needs to block out dust also, otherwise, you will have an attic full or dust. So dont go too coarse of material.

creeky
# Posted: 26 Apr 2015 14:45 - Edited by: creeky

snuffy. make sure you have access at the bottom of your roof (soffits or?) to pull in fresh air from outside to exit from the roof vents.

Okay: a vented roof ridge allows hot air to escape and has vent closure strips to block critters.

Best: a closure strip enabled vented roof ridge works in tandem with your metal roof to create a solar driven chimney effect that ejects heated air and pulls cool air in; dramatically cooling the attic/room/roof.

In Texas there is now a system called the "texas cool roof" It is the system I have (coughcough) been promoting since 2011. And have experimented with on two builds on my off grid farm.

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_4282_1.html page one and two have examples poorly illustrated I admit. but page two has clear diagrams illustrating the process.

t_m_t. you must live in a dry windy dusty environment for dust to pull into your attic. You might want to consider ensuring that there are cool air ingress points to allow the hot air shooting out of the ridge vents to clear the dust.

(coughcough must be the dust ;)

Snuffy
# Posted: 26 Apr 2015 18:55

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. The foam sounds like the way to go. If the ridge vent is removed, foam added and screwed back down, will the screws hold as tight as before removal? Don't want it to come loose!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.