Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulate or not given mice problem?
Smawgunner
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 17:55

Our hewn log cabin circa 1870s is under renovation. We're going to keep it clapboard on the outside for cost sake but we're exposing the logs on the inside. Try as I might, mice are still getting behind the logs and clapboard. I've sealed as much as I can get to with no luck. As you can imagine, each log is a highway! My initial thought was to insulate between the logs, then chink it closed with mortar. But then thought why if all they are going to do is nest in it and break it down. What would you do?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 18:21

They say that mice won't live in Roxul mineral based insulation. More expensive, insulates better. If meese won't live in it it's ideal except for price.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 18:29 - Edited by: Smawgunner

I looked into Roxul and their website says there is no test to say it's rodent resistant and its reputation as such is only by word of mouth.
Here is a study. I "think" Rockwool is the same type of insulation as Roxul. It too was destroyed?

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1038&context=vpc15

creeky
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 20:14

I first used roxul exposed to the weather under a trailer. the critters made tunnels in the roxul but did not nest. if you've installed roxul with your bare hands you'll understand why.

i suspect part of their reluctance to nest there was the presence of a weasel who I believe actively and probably joyously controlled the population.

with birds I've found they will use roxul in their nests but they put a layer of straw between the roxul and their chicks (3 observations).

the one thing about the test smawgunner points out is that mice didn't have a choice about location.

it would be interesting if the test allowed for a variety of accommodation opportunities if they then would avoid/prefer.

I've also used roxul in the attic of my studio. the mice have absolutely no problem living up there. again. while they don't nest in the insulation. they make short tunnels and nest above or below the roxul.

so while I initially believed that roxul had mouse repelling power i am less confident in it now.

what has worked in keeping mice out of the attic is spray foam insulation. because mice can get through such tiny gaps i find that every fall I have to spray foam the gaps between my tin roof and the top plate. Then I do not get mice. last winter there was one little crack and (for the first time in 2 winters) I ended up trapping about 12 meeses before I found the crack. after foaming the crack the infestation ended. i suspect they leave scent markings indicating the route.

for reasons I don't understand they don't appear to want to dig through the spray foam to find there way in. while there is an apparently bad tasting spray foam for critters i've been using regular polyurethane foam with a gun.

i have seen Roxul go on sale. in Canada it is about equivalent to fiberglass with the additional properties of being able to handle water better (gets wet/dries without compromising insulation value). it holds its shape very well. and apparently is more fire resistant/proof.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 20:38

Thanks for the great detailed account creeky! I won't have the luxury of re spraying, once it's chinked, its chinked. Some of the cavities may be mice free but it's hard to know which ones. If I chance it, I just don't want over time to end up with a smelly mass of gooey urine soaked nastiness in my walls.
Did I tell you I hate mice?

Pookie129
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 23:14

Quoting: creeky
I have to spray foam the gaps between my tin roof and the top plate

thanks for that helpful tidbit, that is a great tip! Thanks Creeky

creeky
# Posted: 3 Jul 2015 09:34

Quoting: Smawgunner
Did I tell you I hate mice?

Me too. and thx for da appreciations.

Meeses are amazing climbers and persistent. My worst time is when the fields get cut for hay. suddenly there's a billion of them looking for new homes. sheesh.

I don't know if you have a spray gun for foam, but I would start by just keeping at it. Keep looking for cracks and keep filling. the first time I did my studio took about an hour. after that I spent a few minutes every fall. last year I just couldn't find out where the little <insert swear word> were gettin' in. i foamed and refoamed. finally i found a little black line that I thought was dirt. nope. once foamed the infestation stopped. and the attic has been critter free for, what, 6? months now.

you've got a lot more spraying to do than I did. so the spray guns can be shut and left for days or weeks and then opened and reused.

I also can visually inspect quite easily. So I'm not sure if my experience helps. but hey. it's a start.

my own attic battles started with bats, then mice, then ants. this spring it was ladybugs. which. kinda cool. ah off grid life.

good luck.

Don_P
# Posted: 3 Jul 2015 11:08

With old logs I start with a thorough cleaning then as much borate as I can get into them and all the wood. That helps with insects and decay. If you are going to leave the siding on I'd mask off the logs on the interior and call in the sprayfoam truck, then carve the foam back into the chink joint recess, cover the foam with mylar tape to bond break it and permachink, or, lath and mortar it.

I've powerwashed mouse poop from overhead this week, yuk! Was removing old fiberglass in the attic yesterday and pulled a yellow jacket nest out of the low corner along with it. The homeowner said he heard muffled french and then feet in brave retreat. Little varmint found skin between the respirator and my collar, oww!

creeky
# Posted: 3 Jul 2015 12:11

Quoting: Don_P
feet in brave retreat

bldginsp
# Posted: 3 Jul 2015 12:15 - Edited by: bldginsp

Inside an attic in July, wearing a respirator, ripping old insulation, then you hit a yellow jacket nest. Remind me not to do that. Ever.

There is at least one brand of spray foam that comes in convenient 20 lb cans, similar to propane. Expensive but a DIYer can handle it and probably costs less than calling a service. Don't know the brand name.

Quick search found it:

http://tigerfoam.com

Creeky what do you mean by "spray gun for foam"?

creeky
# Posted: 3 Jul 2015 13:51

i've posted about this a few times.
search creeky spray foam gun

but a spray foam gun is essential to any self build. imho

here's a pic of the gun I've been using for the last two years. or is it three. but i picked up this tip on another site and have been using these guys for 6 years now. I'm on my third gun. Hint: get a metal barrel. first gun lasted 3 days. fell off of a dresser and the plastic wand snapped. ouch. then this metal barreled gun came recommended. (HT-300). the first one cost 14 bucks. i forgot to close the barrel and the foam dried out. this is my second ($19) in 5 years. i'm much more careful now.

advantages:

the gun/cans can be used again and again. the can you see here with the gun on it was put on in October of last year. it has been used on at least 10-20 different occasions. the yellow foam on the barrel. that was a different kind of foam. i have put 3 foam types/mfct through this gun. maybe 4. probably 4-6 cans.

plus the cans last and last and last and ... you get way more applications/foam than single use cans. way more. and yup. i like the tytan product. i live in a very cold climate and sealing a chilly draft at -10 in just a few seconds. priceless.

having one of these handy at all times is one of creeky's top off grid tips. i'll put something up on my blog about it.

for those of you going to my blog I apologize. but actual paying work and some life events have scrunched my blog time. don't worry tho. getting lots ready.

am I wandering?
foamgun.jpg
foamgun.jpg

Don_P
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:43

Quoting: bldginsp
Inside an attic in July, wearing a respirator, ripping old insulation, then you hit a yellow jacket nest. Remind me not to do that. Ever.

I should have thought about the bees but was a little preoccupied looking out for snakes in the insulation, tunnels and sheds everywhere. We were actually in a cool spell which wa why I jumped up there.

Off to move a tractor and float, hopefully this rain will part by 10. Have a Happy 4th all

Kudzu
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 15:14

We have learned to live with the mice, we minimized the problem, but we still have the occasional visitor.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 20:34 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We have a log cabin. It's not insulated. When it is we will be using spray foam professionally installed in the ceiling and under the sub floor.

Mice have chewed into some of our logs (between them)and got inside we used canned spray foam to fill the holes. Can't remember the brand name it's sold at HD. It's in a green can and has a natural bitter flavor that mice hate. They have not bothered the foam.

I just purchased four Victor electronic mouse traps from Amazon. Need to do some mouse control the first week we are at the cabin. I'll let you know how they work.

Don_P
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 15:43

Well, I'll back up. We visited with a couple we built for 3-4 years ago last night. The house was new construction, quite tight, but we battled mice during construction. The whole building was sprayed with open cell foam. We had some probing by the mice but never saw any nesting prior to the drywall and finishes were applied. They have since had nesting in 2 places in the foam. I specifically asked if they were nesting or just exploring, they were nesting. Anyway, more grist for the mill.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 16:11

Have space will nest. .

creeky
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 16:36

when i read the study smawgunner posted one thing bugged me. the mice don't appear to have anywhere else to go or anything else to do. it's mess with the insulation or shiver in a box. I wonder if they had alternate nesting sites that they prefer if they would leave the insulation alone.

it was cool tho that some managed to escape.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 18:12

Good point creeky. They should have put all five materials in and seeing which ones the mice were less likely to nest in. Although if they were to shiver and die it would have said a lot about their reluctance to nest LOL

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.