Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / ReliaBilt doors ?? Feedback Wanted
Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 09:06

Good Day folks,

We are in process of our build and decided that we want to install an exterior double door (French Door) on the south side. We have looked at Home Depot, Lowes and others and came across a set @ Lowes made by ReliaBilt See Link here: ReliaBilt Dual-pane Steel Patio Door which has blinds built into it between the glass.

Anyone have experience with this brand or even model/version of the door ?

I realize the double latching is not the strongest which I intend to supplement anyways, is there anything else to consider ?

Why this type versus slider ? Better sealing in Winter (remember I'm in Canada and we know what that Four Letter word is) and somewhat better security I think than sliders.

creeky
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 10:34

I bought the inswing fiberglass 71.5" model from lowes in the US. It's been installed for three years. These are good doors.

The fiberglass model over steel: at the time it was and still is a bit more expensive. But they used a better quality foam insulation and fiberglass has better thermal characteristics than steel.

I see they've upgraded the glass to E coated. Nice. The blinds make a real difference to both cold and heat.

If you're far enough off the beaten path, I prefer to give thieves an easy way in. They'll get in. It's just about how much repair work do you want to do?

I'm not sure, after three years, how much better the sealing is. It is real nice tho, to open both doors and have this huge opening to the sounds of the world. Oh. I also bought the screen door addition. Eeze vundurful.

Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 17:41

The screen doors come with these and while the metal skin will transfer some cold, it is thermally broken so won't transit through it. What really caught my eye was the blind between the glass... Gosh I hate floppy blinds that rattle when a breeze catches them.

We'll be sticking to a 60" wide model as the space isn't there for bigger and I'm not sure I would want bigger anyhow.

creeky
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 18:45

no worries. re: size. some people like smaller. i'm a big guy so I like big.

as I said: the blinds do make a difference. and, back in the day, the fiberglass doors got a better quality of foam.

i remember listening to morse code when I was kid up north and that's how folks communicated over long distances. tap. tappity. tap. it was so cool.

rockies
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 19:18 - Edited by: rockies

I used to sell doors and windows at Rona. These look like good quality doors, but I would suggest going with outswing rather than inswing. You will probably have to custom order them, but it is difficult to get a good air seal between the door and the frame with inswing double doors.

When the wind hits inswing doors it pushes the doors away from the frame. If they are outswing, then the wind presses the doors against the frame, making a tighter seal.

Two other considerations are the amount of floor space taken up by inswing doors when they are open, and that it is difficult if not impossible to put screens on an inswing double door.

I, too, live in Canada. YEA CANADA!

creeky
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 20:06

Oh Canada, true north strong and free.

My double screen doors open out while the french doors swing in.

wait a second. how do you put screen doors on outswinging french doors?

Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 21:15

I thought about out swing but as I'll be there year round & potential big snows I don't want to be stuck in case I need to get out fast. Won't have a porch this year on there but that's next years project so I'll likely do something to serve.

Bret
# Posted: 5 Jul 2015 07:28

Steel doors will dent fairly easily. Fiberglass will not. I purchased the Thermatru fiberglass doors two years ago and haven't had to paint them yet, if you like white.

rockies
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 19:18

You use retractable screen for outswing doors.

http://www.wizardindustries.com/outswing_door_screen.html

Steve_S
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 19:34

UPDATE:

We bought the 5' ReliaBilt Double doors on the link above on sale for 549.00 CDN and we bought a double screen door system for it as well.

Door Quality looks good,
Framing is 1" Pine not MDF, Particle or Finger Joint.
The internal shades work really nice and smooth and I don't forsee any issues with this.

Now adjusting my plans and generating a new materials list for the Cabin.

creeky
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 15:38

Hey Rockie. And whomsoever else.

I had those retractable screen doors and I loved them. But one proviso vs the regular screen door.

Red squirrels will go through the bottom of the door like it doesn't exist. I had to build a small 6" high wall and then the red squirrel, knowing he could get in, simply clawed the retractable screen until he was in.

now. we kept our bird feed in a cabinet right next to the door and I'm pretty sure he just smelled MEGA FOOD. and charged on in. but he also taught the chipmunk how to get in. and we didn't have skunks or racoons coming by that often. so ...

For my .02. I prefer regular screen doors where the screen is fixed.

That said. I used retractable screens here at the farm for two years on the studio back door (no food smells) and had no problems. So mileage may vary.

Steve you are going to like those doors. btw. is the metal door coming with the better insulation yet? and the glass is E coated now? that's a bonus. the shades are awesome.

hey bret. you and i have the same make. i double checked mine. they are thermatru. i haven't painted mine yet either.

loretta
# Posted: 27 Apr 2016 02:28 - Edited by: loretta

I would suggest inswing patio doors,preferably fiberglass ones. I live in Whitby and I know how cold the weather can get in the winter. Fiberglass provides more heat to your room and they don't dent that easily. I purchased this door from Heritage home designs http://www.heritagehomedesign.ca/. They have a lot of collections and designs.

Jebediah
# Posted: 27 Apr 2016 06:07 - Edited by: Jebediah

I just noticed the date of the post....

I never knew it was so easy to get into a sliding patio door until I was shown. Lift up, jiggle it back and forth a bit and pull out, ...that was 10 yrs ago, not sure if they remedied that problem. I wish all thieves would have known this, it would have saved me 500 bucks .....

I have the outswing doors, metal and retractable screen on my house with the built in blinds. No issues except for visitors trying to walk through the screen...

melvinderby
# Posted: 9 Jun 2016 03:51

I have a vinyl patio door, though it is plastic based it can be designed to mimic other patio doors like wood. They are inexpensive and cost-effective.In terms of energy efficiency they are very good. They can stand up to the element without peeling,flaking or corroding. But there are some minor issues with vinyl doors-extreme temperature can cause cracks in the vinyl and they are more flammable than other patio door elements. Here are tips to consider what to look for when you are installing patio doors

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.