Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Door Framing/cutting door way
Scotthk
# Posted: 3 Aug 2015 14:07

Hey folks,

I'm building a small cabin and I'm getting to a level of logs where I will be needing to cut the door. The logs all have a 1-2.5 inch gap between them. I'm using saddle notches on the corners and I have this mental image of when I cut the logs, the logs will pivot on the corner and sag. How can I prevent that from happening? Wood blocks between logs? I appreciate the feedback!

Thank you

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Aug 2015 17:59

Is it chinked already? You can use mortar too. Or blocking and mortar. Also a large beam, ie a 4X6 or even a 6X6 and spike it to the logs in addition to the mortat. Then shim and fit your door to the timber framed opening. Just end up with the typical rough opening, ie 38 wide (for 36" door), 81.5 or 82" high.

I am no log home builder, but did build an 8X12 log cabin in my late teen years. We fit everything together so tight.

Don_P
# Posted: 3 Aug 2015 21:29

I've attached a pic of a door buck from a spring house, this is pretty typical of old log construction around here. This is essentially what toyota is suggesting, in this case the pegs are driven into each log course. As the corners of these cabins settled the door bucks did not allow settlement in that area. The cabins end up with a hump at each opening and lower corners.

Another way is to insert blocks in the gap between rows and slot the bucks into the log ends at the openings, or slot for the nails... allowing the logs to settle as they shrink, the blocks preserve the gap, which will grow narrower at the corners than at the blocked openings but it will be closer than the rigid connection because it does allow for log shrinkage settlement. The top of the buck is left several inches short of the top of the rough opening and trim is designed to cover the gap and allow the logs to settle

The bucks can be slotted for nails with a washer under their head, or they can have angle iron set in a dado so that the leg of the angle slides into a groove cut in the log ends. I like that approach because it really holds the logs in line but allows them to slide down freely. You can also nail a 2x2 to the log side of the buck and cut a groove in the logs to slide down that 2x2.

I have chinked old cabins with mortar, be careful to detail it so that those shed water rather than becoming water catching troughs that promote rot. I've also used synthetic chinking, permachink, etc.

I've never done it but something to think about, the old timers didn't use any portland, their chinks were often clay or lime based. Lime renders were also used in the old european timber frames. Lime pulls moisture, acts more as a preservative, "heals", and slowly turns back to limestone as it absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Portland often accelerates rot in contact with wood.
doorbuck.jpg
doorbuck.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.