Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / please help!!! 16x16 cabin on cedar tree stumps for piers?
<< . 1 . 2 .
Don_P
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 23:07

Quoting: Just
Quoting: pcroom
frost line is 30"

36 in. deep hole

30" deep hole. A large enough rock is a footing.

If you have rocks... why are we sticking wood in the ground?

pcroom
# Posted: 4 Oct 2015 07:43

Really

pcroom
# Posted: 13 Oct 2015 17:40

This may be a stupid question but I had called inspector here in Missouri and the footing is included with the 30 inches so I poured my footing now I have maybe 2 foot of mY cedar pier coming out of the ground that's sitting on top of my footing my question is they are not one they're not together to the footing so what is to say that frost doesn't get in between my peir and my footing and push my stump up off the footing that I just sat on top of my footing???

Don_P
# Posted: 13 Oct 2015 20:00

How much water do you reckon you'll have between the footing and the post?

As long as you are staring at things. You're about to park a pickup truck with a sail on it on top of that post.

SteveF
# Posted: 22 Nov 2015 10:08

You should be using the big foot forms for your piers. Also make absolutely sure that between the top of the cement pier and the cedar you may be putting on top of it that you use tar paper, shingle, or some other no porous material. Cement absorbs moisture and will over time make your cedar brittle, which if under load, will collapse.

Also code for the foundation frame is I believe 2x10 with piers spaced every 8'. The beams which your frame will sit on should be 6"x10" - your not building a deck! Since freshly cut wood is wet I would "not" be using it as a building material since it will warp - especially under load since it is full of moisture. It should not be used for atleast a year after being cut.

Don_P
# Posted: 22 Nov 2015 11:59

Quoting: SteveF
Also code for the foundation frame is I believe 2x10 with piers spaced every 8'. The beams which your frame will sit on should be 6"x10" - your not building a deck!

... A pier foundation is not code, a bigfoot is not listed for residential foundation support. Without design it can be used for exempt structures and usually an inspector will allow them for decks without additional design, you aren't building a deck. Your engineer can design a residential foundation using these. The beams should be designed to support the loads above, that may or may not be a 6x10.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Nov 2015 12:20

I had exhaustive correspondence with the Bigfoot folks a few years back. At the end of it they could not supply papers that would prove suitability of their product for compliance with building code compliance. They are probably better than just sticking piers in holes in the ground. But without that stamped engineers report they won't pass code.

Don_P
# Posted: 22 Nov 2015 12:59

They have a way with their advertising, caveat emptor.
From their website;
Stringently tested, and evaluated by, Canadian Construction Materials Centre and ESR 2148;

Photo left: Bigfoot Systems® - the best footer on the market! Graphic right: this construction tube is being installed without a proper footer. It is not pre-engineered and may not meet building codes.

Neither one meets code.

Here is ESR 2148, the code report they reference above, read section 5;
http://www.icc-es.org/Reports/pdf_files/ESR-2148.pdf

Then read that same language in the foundation chapter of the codebook. Basically the report acknowledges that it is a concrete form and both code and manufacturer require an engineer for a residential foundation design using these.

If a manufacturer makes a claim that seems to be too good to be true... it usually is.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.