Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulation question.......
smallcabin
# Posted: 2 Dec 2015 15:01

Ok...just curious to know what you guys think and/or would recommend?

I'm in the process of insulating the cabin now. My question is...Is it a good idea to add a vapor barrier to the fiberglass insulation? Idea behind this is that it will give a higher R value? Is this even necessary? My concern is that in doing so...would I risk molds development?

thanks!

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Dec 2015 15:04

where are you? vapor barriers are good for some places, bad for others.

DaveBell
# Posted: 2 Dec 2015 21:02

Try this.

http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/75130/What-Happens-W hen-You-Put-a-Plastic-Vapor-Barrier-in-Your-Wall

KinAlberta
# Posted: 12 Dec 2015 09:44 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Off topic but are you set on fiberglass or would you consider rock wool or cellulose ?

You might want to read up on the other options. I was quite surprised about the benefits of cellulose. In my case I added loads of fibreglass to my home's attic only to then learn that fibreglass loses 50% of its value due to convection by -40, just when you need it the most.

More recently I used rock wool batts in my basement reno (interior ceilings, surrounding the furnace room, etc) and loved installing it.

If you go with Fiberglass batt, make sure you install it carefully so as not to leave any perimeter gaps. Again on my basement reno I had to reinstall all the batts due to the horrible 1970s install.

Here's a near random link. I googled bad Fiberglass batt install. Note it's comments on rock wool.

http://blog.lamidesign.com/2012/01/what-you-don-know-about-mineral-wool.html

smallcabin
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 14:16

Quoting: MtnDon
where are you? vapor barriers are good for some places, bad for others.

Don,

Wisconsin

smallcabin
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 14:19

Quoting: KinAlberta
Off topic but are you set on fiberglass or would you consider rock wool or cellulose ?

You might want to read up on the other options. I was quite surprised about the benefits of cellulose. In my case I added loads of fibreglass to my home's attic only to then learn that fibreglass loses 50% of its value due to convection by -40, just when you need it the most.

More recently I used rock wool batts in my basement reno (interior ceilings, surrounding the furnace room, etc) and loved installing it.

If you go with Fiberglass batt, make sure you install it carefully so as not to leave any perimeter gaps. Again on my basement reno I had to reinstall all the batts due to the horrible 1970s install.

Here's a near random link. I googled bad Fiberglass batt install. Note it's comments on rock wool.

Thanks Kin,

unfortunately, fiberglass is what i've purchased and will be using.

smallcabin
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 14:25

Davebell,

thanks! very informative info.

Steve961
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 14:41

I live in Wisconsin, and my small cabin is in north central Wisconsin. Unfortunately, your question doesn't have an easy yes or no answer. A lot depends on what type of sheathing, exterior insulation, building wrap, and even siding you have. Moisture that finds its way into a wall cavity, and eventually it will, needs a way out. If you have an impermeable vapor barrier on the inside, and an impermeable barrier (i.e. sheathing, foam boards, etc.) on the outside, moisture will not have a way to escape.

When I was building my cabin I found this article which was a great help to me in understanding wall construction and moisture control:

Building Science Corporation - Mind the Gap, Eh!

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 17:28

Quoting: KinAlberta
http://blog.lamidesign.com/2012/01/what-you-don-know-about-mineral-wool.html

Darn good article and well summed up. Should be a mandatory read for anyone building a place today. I would have used Rockwool (ala Roxul) had I not got such amazing deals on ISO & XPS.

smallcabin
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 17:55 - Edited by: smallcabin

Steve961,

thanks for the article. Very helpful! So what did you end up using for insulation? Care to share some pics/advice?

Steve961
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 19:49

Quoting: smallcabin
Steve961,

thanks for the article. Very helpful! So what did you end up using for insulation? Care to share some pics/advice?

My insulation needs ended up being quite different than most since I used shipping containers for the majority of my structure. I used 2" of closed cell spray foam insulation on both the container walls and the standard frame walls in the container openings. 2" of spray foam has the added advantage of being its own vapor barrier. And while I think spray foam is an excellent insulation, there are more cost effective options for traditional construction.

If I were to build another frame building, and I'm seriously thinking about adding a small bunk house this summer, I would give serious consideration to "The Perfect Wall" concept (link below).

The Perfect Wall

Steve_S
# Posted: 16 Dec 2015 09:32

I'm going with a hybrid "Perfect Wall" mostly due to the materials I was able to collect. Below is a diagram of my wall structure.

2x6 walls @ 24oc:
Between studs: 5-1/4" Insulation Panel which has 1/2" Bonded treated fibre on each face with high density EPS Foam in between. This stuff has an R22 insulation value.

1/2 OSB sheathing on the exterior, covered with Tyvek, then 2" paper faced ISO (R10), covered again with Tyvek, Horizontal strapping, to be finished with Vertical Board on Board rough cut presenting an 8" face. This allows for an active 6" air channel flowing up and air space provided by the strapping so none of the board is actually directly against the exterior wall insulation.

The Tyvek I am using on the walls is the breathable variety which sheds water...
My Hybrid "Perfect Wall" Design
My Hybrid "Perfect Wall" Design

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Dec 2015 12:03

So you're basically making your own SIPS panels then, yeah?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.