Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Tank or Tankless (down to two choices)
Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Feb 2016 10:38

I'm looking at the pros and cons of these two. I'll have a small 20-40 gallon storage tank IN the cabin fed by an outdoor rain barrel. I do have electric and would rather not fool around with gas and venting. I'm not that familiar with the on demand and it's specs. Thoughts??

https://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-et-32-electric-tankless-water-heater/

OR
http://www.lowes.com/pd_140427-135-E1F12US015V+120V_1z0vito__?productId=1015917&Ns=p_ product_price|1&pl=1&Ntt=hot+water+tank

Nate R
# Posted: 9 Feb 2016 10:43

Are you full timing in your place?
If not, do you NEED hot water within a couple hours of arrival?

Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Feb 2016 11:04

Good questions Nate. I am not full time and don't need hot water until several hours of arriving.

Topper
# Posted: 9 Feb 2016 13:48

Our in-town (full time) cabin has electric.
Went with a 100 gallon storage tank, located inside, and a 6 gallon electric water heater.
Decided upon a 6 gallon, as that was the size in our camper --plenty of hot water for the two of us.

Nate R
# Posted: 9 Feb 2016 15:50

On demand electric requires lots of power to it. THis one is 32 Kw....If I'm thinking right, nearly 140 amps to run it! While yes, it's only running when you need it, that's some expensive copper or aluminum to put in. And, it' s possible your main panel has only 100 amp service and a 100 amp breaker....
You're using rainwater....any mineral deposits in it are more likely to clog up the small tubes in tankless water heaters over time. (Tankless often runs the water through several tiny pipes to heat it up faster. )
Some people have issues with the tankless not turning on until you hit a certain flow....so then you may have to use more water than you wanted to wash your hands, etc.

To me, it would be less headache and complication to just go with the standard tank type, not to mention less expensive for the unit AND the wire total cost. And if you're not full time, I'm not sure you'd really see much operating cost benefit.

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Feb 2016 17:41

I find it hard to compare those two. The storage tank model operates on 120 volts, 1500 watts whereas the on demand requires 240 volt and a mega size service. Given the desire to use electricity and not gas, and that this is a part time property I'd go with the small and cheaper storage tank model. And then plan my showers, etc. to ensure adequate hot water.

rayyy
# Posted: 9 Feb 2016 17:48

If you have a source of unfrozen water,1 gallon to 5 gallons to 500 gallons to 5000 gallons "it don't matter"and you want to heat that water up to a comfortable temp for you as you use it,,,an Ecotemp L5 or L7 will work just fine for you!You will need a pressurized supply of unfrozen,liquid water and a tank of propane gas,2 size D batteries to give you nice warm (or even hot)bath or shower for what ever!I'm telling you I take a nice warm shower every morning with my Eco temp L7,,,,2 or 3 gallons of nice hot water!LOVE IT!

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Feb 2016 23:24

Whatever you get will have to be drained when you leave. That's usually pretty easy with a tank. Some tankless have a drain plug to make it easy, otherwise you have to blow it out with compressed air. If you don't, and it freezes, it will ruin it (maybe you already knew that...)

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 11 Feb 2016 19:06

How often do you go to the cabin? Do you plan to live there full-time in the near future?

I wonder if you need a hot water heater at all if you're not there on pretty much a weekly basis? As bldginsp stated, without anyone there, it needs to be drained or else it could freeze up and problems will ensue. Would it be more trouble than it's worth for how much you'll need hot water?

I'm not being cheeky. I'll be living at my cabin full-time and I asked myself that last question. For me, the answer was yes, even though the cabin will be my 24/7 home. For dishes and a daily shower, I can heat water on either the range or the woodstove. And that's all I need hot water for.

Now, if I had electric service (not off-grid solar), it might be a different story but maybe not. I know that even now that I'm on the grid, the hot water heater uses the second most energy, right behind heating/cooling. It seems like a lot of energy expended for 2 simple things.

Just some food for thought. It all depends on what we're comfortable with doing.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 11 Feb 2016 19:47

Thanks all for the replies. Great things to think about. I'm pretty sure I'm sold on the 6 gallon electric tank. I'm there quite a bit in the summer months but only weekends in the winter. I can go without a shower in the winter for a weekend so the system will be drained during those months. In the summer, I work and sweat quite a bit so a warm shower would be good including dish washing, shaving etc.
Question about draining the system, couldn't you simply pump antifreeze through it like they do for RVs....drain the tank as much as possible too.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.