Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Countertop opinions
<< . 1 . 2 .
FishPCreek
# Posted: 28 Sep 2016 20:49

I used leftover tile from our home bathroom job and it has worked great.
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG
DSC_3033.JPG
DSC_3033.JPG

KinAlberta
# Posted: 3 Oct 2016 00:12

People say tile / grout is horrible and unhygienic. I think that's really strange because if I prepare anything on the counter or cut anything I use a cutting board and plates. Any rough or porous surface would pose the same risks, so butcherblock or even granite could be problematic.

I would have used butcherblock for one of ours except the diagonal corner and length of one side would have been a problem for me as a DIYer.

Steve_S
# Posted: 3 Oct 2016 07:32

There are many types of grout and you certainly would never use floor grade grout or standard silicon grouts but rather an Epoxy Grout which is suitable & "food grade safe". There are sealers available to also resolve such issues.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 6 Apr 2019 11:21 - Edited by: KinAlberta

It sounds like Quartz is the way to go. Interesting that wood is actually quite hygienic. And... I still wonder who deliberately cuts anything directly on their countertops. Spills and splashes are the big threat to hygiene in our place.*

Just came back from a vacation though where we’d stayed in a 1950s bungalow with the original tile kitchen and bathroom countertops and a tile tub surround. Except for a few small chips on the raised lip tiles it looked new. The tiles were all tightly spaced. Grout looked great and clean. The character of the place was really enhanced with the tile jobs.

As an aside, it was clearly a very high quality job with cool features I’d never seen before and so far a tile treatment that I can’t even find an example of online.

i.e. Diamond pattern in the bathroom but a very unusual offset triangle + rectangle tile along the rear edges.

Even the porcelain bathroom sink was sunken into the very thick countertop with quarter-round tiling. It had a look of what today would be described as an under-mount sink. Also had raised porcelain tap mounts and Crane’s old “Temple” style faucet.

In our city home’s kitchen we have Formica / Arborite. It’s now 19 years old and still looks new except for a few tiny scratches from knives.

In our bathrooms we have 18 year old galaxy black granite tiles edged with cherry. The black grout gets white in places from soap but that comes off. The cherry edging just needs a light sanding and a recoating with polyurethane. The biggest failures have been on the finish on the cherry cabinetry in the main bathroom/shower. Very minor but moisture seems to be hard on them.

*Note: I don’t run the garburator without a cover to ensure nothing growing down there can splash out from the unit and onto the countertop.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.