Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / How to repair a log siding.
daleslad
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 22:44

Hi, I have a fairly large hole after clearing out the dead wood in one of my split logs.
I've seen everything from bondo to foam insulation and I just get more confused the more I research it.
It is just a facia log and the wood panel underneath is fine, I don't want to cut it out and install a new one I just want to build up the hole, sand it to fit and paint it.
Any ideas?
I will try to upload a photo if I can.
Thanks
rotted log
rotted log

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jul 2016 20:09

The problem with rot is that rot promotes more rot. Because rot is more porous than solid wood, it soaks up any available moisture which causes more rot.

I can suggest two approaches. The first is to cut into it until you have removed all rot, then square up the cut, flatten it with angled tapered ends, then make a piece of wood to fit into it. Would probably take as much or more time than replacing it.

Second, get some boat builders rot epoxy. It's made specifically to solidify punky wood and seal it against further rot. Then fill it up with Bondo, sand and paint.

But I think the easiest way is to rip it out and replace it, unless there is something in the way. That is, if a replacement is readily available. You could make one with a spoke shave.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.