Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pier Fundations
Robert J Hayward
# Posted: 20 Jul 2016 11:59

I'm building a 12 X 16 Shed to use for wood working. I'm thinking of using 2 X 8's for the floor joists because of the table saws and some of the other equipment can be heavy. My question is how many piers would I need and what would the spacing be?

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jul 2016 13:18

The piers should go beneath girder beams that the floor joists sit on. The span of the girder size you use determines the maximum space between piers on each girder.

As well, you need enough piers to support the load, given how much snow you get and your soil conditions.

But for a 12 x 16 shed, if you want to do it off-hand rather than with calculations, I'd run 3 girders lengthwise, use 4x6 for the girders, and space piers at most every 6 feet, so 4 piers per girder, total 12 piers. Since you will have some heavy machinery consider using 1-1/8 plywood for the floor.

Dig your pier holes minimum to the frost line, and if you have more than 20 lb snow load make the piers at the outside walls at least 20 x20.

If you want the building to last, do a full perimeter spread footing.

Good luck

Cowracer
# Posted: 20 Jul 2016 14:31

I did what you want on my 16x16. I used 2x10s as floor joists and started out with just 6 concrete piers (1 each corner, one each mid-span on header side). I did not use beams.

This proved inadequate. I wound up installing 3 more piers for a total of nine (1 each corner, one mid-span each side, one dead center.

While this is proving mostly adequate, I find that I wish I had installed beams as "bldginsp" is suggesting. I may, at considerable cost, go back one day and retrofit a center beam.

Tim

Robert J Hayward
# Posted: 21 Jul 2016 08:38

Thank You all for the info, it is greatly appreciated!!

NorthRick
# Posted: 21 Jul 2016 12:05

Quoting: bldginsp
But for a 12 x 16 shed, if you want to do it off-hand rather than with calculations, I'd run 3 girders lengthwise, use 4x6 for the girders, and space piers at most every 6 feet, so 4 piers per girder, total 12 piers. Since you will have some heavy machinery consider using 1-1/8 plywood for the floor.

For 12' wide I'd skip the center beam/girder. Just one on each side, sized appropriately, and use floor joists that are sized for a 12' span.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.