Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Lumpy Linoleum
paulz
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 10:00

I got a piece of leftover new linoleum for my bathroom floor. I laid it out in the sun to get it somewhat flat before installing. I've had it in place for over a week now with weight flattening it down but it still has some humps. I suppose when I glue it down it should take care of it but I was wondering if I should try heating it up or anything else to get it flat first?

SE Ohio
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 11:59

Assuming this is soft/flexible roll stock. The glue should take care of it. Once linoleum is down it REALLY sticks. Just smooth it down.

Hard linoleum tile can be softened with a torch, never tried on soft stuff. Once heated cuts like butter! Hard linoleum tiles stand up better to traffic, dog claws, high heels, etc, but a bit more practice needed for cut in work around plumbing, toilets, etc.

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 14:03

Is what you have actually linoleum? They still make it- it's made from linseed oil- superior to vinyl and other floor coverings- but relatively rare. Anyway, you need the right glue for the product you are using. And when you apply the glue, don't run it in reqular parallel lines- spread it randomly and crisscross. Bubbles can form anywhere there is no glue over a large area.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 16:49

I didn't see any name on it, probably just regular vinyl flooring, 6 ft wide roll. Pretty thick stuff though, not cheap. Thanks for the advice on glue.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 23 Jul 2016 08:21

In my previous note, please substitute "vinyl" for "lineolum"

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Jul 2016 11:46

There are now a large number of floorings like this, and 'linoleum' and 'vinyl' don't cover the full range of 'engineered products' that are available. It's interesting that good old linoleum, invented about 100 years ago, is still around and still considered high quality.

So anyway they came up with the term 'resilient flooring' as a generic description for all of these products.

They make the stuff now out of all kinds of chemical formulations, and they also vary with the backing that's used- some have cloth/fiber backing, others have none, etc. Because of this you have to know what type of glue is recommended by the manufacturer for the specific product.

Perhaps a flooring installer could enlighten us about the practical reality- maybe all glues work with all types of flooring- but I have been cautioned to 'make sure you use the right glue' so I'm just passing that along.

The most common type of resilient flooring is vinyl, but I don't know if all vinyls use the same glue.

bobrok
# Posted: 23 Jul 2016 13:00

I'm interested in freeze/thaw cycle glue recommendations for vinyl flooring.
Will be watching.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.