Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Footings for a small deck on marsh
Scott01
# Posted: 23 Jul 2016 05:17

I've got a question about footings. I'm trying to build a small 6'x 6' deck on marsh. THe ground is always damp and when it rains, there is surface water.

The good news is that there is an existing deck next to the one I'm trying to build. It uses four cinder blocks sunk into the marsh and the existing wood deck rests on top of them.

I can dig 4 holes and set the new concrete blocks into the holes, but is there anything else I should do? I.e. Add gravel, etc under the blocks? Thanks.

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Jul 2016 21:53

The further down you go the better. Do you know how deep the piers are on the other deck? And filling a deep hole with gravel is a good way to go because gravel is stable. But still, if the gravel sits on and is surrounded by wet muck, who knows what will happen over time. If the other deck has been successful, duplicate it, or go a bit deeper.

Scott01
# Posted: 23 Jul 2016 21:57

I can't tell how deep the other existing deck goes. I can say the tops of its four cinder blocks are just above the surface. Without pulling them up, it don't know what's underneath them.

I'm going to check with local contractors, too.

I appreciate the email.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.