Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Finally! Our little pc of Heaven
benny8
# Posted: 30 Aug 2016 04:52

After a little snafu with the sellers realtor, the wife and I finally closed on our 6.2 acre pc of hunting paradise. The land is about 20 miles from our Primary residence which is on the outskirts of town. Our hunting land is out in the boonies. It is off a private rd. and when you sit out there, you can not hear any road noise. It is super peaceful. We will be working in phases. Getting the driveway trimmed out, clearing the building lot and septic area and running underground power is this falls planned phase I. During the winter we will be building a small sugar shack as the land has a bunch of Sugar Maples. This has been a long standing dream and it has finally come true.

benny8
# Posted: 30 Aug 2016 04:53

Plan is to build a 16x28 hunting camp on a block crawlspace of about 2'(3 Blocks high).

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 30 Aug 2016 07:45

Congratulations Benny... sounds like a great place, and years of fun to come. Keep us updated with pictures of the progress... and share what you learn with all of us.

Congrats again!!

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Aug 2016 08:26

Congrats and welcome to the Great Adventure ! 6.2ac with Sugar Maples... ok, soft spot for maple syrup but love to drink the sap clear too... Sooo refreshing !

hattie
# Posted: 30 Aug 2016 12:51

Congratulations! Can't wait to watch your build progress. I am jealous of those sugar maples.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 30 Aug 2016 12:53

Sounds awesome. Congratulations! Look forward to seeing some pics.

FishHog
# Posted: 30 Aug 2016 15:44

congrats sounds great. What area of the world are we talking about?

hueyjazz
# Posted: 30 Aug 2016 19:35

After my brother worked 7 days a week for most of his employment he bought the home of his dreams. A little winery turn into a home in Bordeaux, France. Had some issues that the French medical system deem kidney stones.
Went on for a year without resolution and he came to the US and got a proper medical diagnosis. Bladder cancer stage three. He had on five more years and then passed.

Three months later close friend (Best man at each other weddings close) went in for a minor outpatient operation to remove a small growth from his neck. Dead three days later. Freak blood clot to brain. No such thing as minor operation.

I'm absolutely devastated. One I knew was coming and was powerless. The other I didn't and felt obvious and helpless.

Now I'm deciding I'm much like my brother and working way to hard and way too much. Much because I take a lot of pride in what I do and fail to delegate as much as I should.
And then there's the gone tomorrow thing.
Well I needed to make a change.

And oh, we have a grand old house ,which we love; across from a park, but it's on a main city artery by a large University. We live in a fishbowl with 24/7 activity. Quiet, well; let's just say I'm not a fan of hip hop, at 11 (Spinal Tap reference)

Did you say long standing dream? Raised two girls to adulthood. We're free. No more "events"
Wife is Country girl. She is all on board with plan to get a place to escape out of Dodge. We both got stipulations.

Mine: No more than a hour away. Must be able to eat Fruit Loop in underwear on front deck. Must have front deck.

Hers: Must have electricity without noise.

Well it took over 3.5 years to find the place with a bird dog like approach. No stone was left un-turned as we used every resource at hand. We even had a deal fall through. But we finally found exactly what we wanted via Craigslist. Go figure.

Never looked back. Every weekend is a holiday. And a few more days tacked on in between. Three feet of snow, we make it to the cabin even if we ski in.
We don't desire to travel much anymore. Did that and have done that with possibly one more farewell tour left in me. But we love our land.
Tara
(I did marry Scarlet Ohara but mine's got red hair with more drama Love her, but I aint no Ret Butler)

We so love it we even bought the bigger and better cabin we surround with our land as a retirement. Just waiting to close on it. 7 years before retirement but did you read the first section of my diatribe? Life is short and it became available. We can afford it and the kids suffer not. When the grand kids show up we going to be the fun place to visit.

So Benny, let me give you a few tips. Unless your wife is a hunter don't call it a hunting camp. If she is, great but I bet you'll find it's more than that. It's a retreat.

Locate your nearest water source, lumber yard, medical provider, labor source, gas station and food source (et al beer). In that order.
Trust me on this one but at twenty minutes from home you already got me beat on most of these. I'm more than twenty minutes from pavement.

benny8
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 03:44

Quoting: hueyjazz
So Benny, let me give you a few tips. Unless your wife is a hunter don't call it a hunting camp. If she is, great but I bet you'll find it's more than that. It's a retreat. Locate your nearest water source, lumber yard, medical provider, labor source, gas station and food source (et al beer). In that order. Trust me on this one but at twenty minutes from home you already got me beat on most of these. I'm more than twenty minutes from pavement.

Thanks Jazz-Wife and daughter are both hunters, hence Hunting Camp. It is exactly going to be a retreat. A little history about myself. 21 years at Ruger Firearms. I am a tool maker. While my daughter was growing up I worked 2 nd shift to be home with her during the day while my wife worked. When she was old enough to tag along, I started my Carpentry business during the day, still working nights. Had my business for 5 years. Wife and I designed and built our current residence. Got on 1st shift when daughter was in 3rd grade(10 years ago). She is now in Cosmetology School. Both my wife and I have worked hard to get to this point of our lives. Time to enjoy. My grandfather(87 years young) came up to the lot before we made an offer and found us water. He is a dowser. As dry as this summer is he found us a vein 18 inches down. The land also has about 20 trees that we will be harvesting and selling for veneer lumber. My father was a forester for a number of years before starting his Carpentry business. He is the one who instilled into me my work ethic. At 64 years old, he works like he is 24 years old. Not sure who is more excited about the land, him or us. This weekend we will be starting to trim out the driveway and clearing the lot for the cabin and leach field area. I will post up pics to show the before and after.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 09:04

Work at Ruger????
You're my new best friend. I collect and restore WWII rifles but to be honest one of my favorites is my Ruger Goverment Model Mark II. I can shoot the eyes out of a fly with that. Old Bill got everything right on that. Balance is perfect and it feels like an extension of my hand. It is my regular carry gun at camp. Mostly to have a noise maker to scare off any critter

See you found the water. Good luck on the build. My grandfather and father were both woodworkers. My wood shop got relocated to the camp. Every third building out on my main roads (all dirt) is a Amish saw mill. We are spoiled with abundant oak, maple and hemlock fir.

Happy hunting. I use to hike in and out a couple of hours before I got my land. Hunting public land had a lot to be desired when some people in the woods aren't that skilled. The sound of a round going pass you gives you religion. Therefore I hunt in the quiet with no one else when I was on public land. Having your own land gives you the choice of who you hunt with. Family is the best. Getting into the stand fifteen minutes from cabin. Nirvana

DaveBell
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 10:38

Quoting: benny8
6.2 acre pc of hunting paradise.

Benny, congrats on the property !!
Post some pics when you can, would like to see it.

Tarmetto
# Posted: 6 Sep 2016 11:16

Ruger!
I'm a certified, card carrying Ruger nut! 95% of my rather large collection (in-use collection...not collectibles) bears the Ruger name.
Congratulations on your purchase!

benny8
# Posted: 6 Sep 2016 12:14

Thanks all. My dad and I cut out the driveway and the building site/leach field area Saturday morning. My Grandfather came up and played around with the spring. It was nice to have three generations up there. We marked the timber that will be harvested to help pay for the cabin and leach field. We are removing all the ash while it is still healthy and marketable. We have about 110 ash trees to sell. I will try and post up the pics I took. They don't really show the amount of work we did, but some will get the idea.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 6 Sep 2016 20:40

krstrout1
Herkimer!!! That's my ancestral home! My great-great grandfather was a farmer in Herkimer County. I found some documents on Ancestry.com that made me very sad. Huge number of people in his area at the time took sick and wound up at the mercy of the county. There were photos of ledger pages listing men, women, and children. Everyone in my family recovered but they had to start over, pretty much.

Sorry for the divergence ...

Welcome Benny and congratulations!!! Sounds like your project is going to very much be a family affair and a great adventure! Enjoy!!!

benny8
# Posted: 28 Sep 2016 03:49

Some pics of our progress on the lot. After signing the civil engineer got the septic design finished and submitted to the state. Approved by state within 10 hours. Logger has been busy cutting logs and leaving us the tops for firewood. We have been going up the past two Saturdays and cutting, splitting and stacking firewood. Looking like we will have about 50 cords of firewood or better.
Cleared building site
Cleared building site
3 generations
3 generations
First weekend, hand split
First weekend, hand split
Logs ready for mill
Logs ready for mill

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.