Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Bunkie to cabin in phases
JH Fish
# Posted: 29 Sep 2016 10:26

My bush lot is very rural with the 108 F2 no permit needed. Ease of access and ability of the roads to carry a heavy load varies with rainfall and dry seasons. Due to travel distance I want to at least put up a bunkie. I did see these plans for a 8' x 13.5' bunkie with a loft and a porch and was intrigued. http://www.theclassicarchives.com/how-to-guides/free-wood-cabin-plans

But then I got to thinking expansion for the future. My thoughts were to:

1) build 8x12 bunkie with shed roof sloped at pitch of 8/12 or 10/12. Sleeping loft in upper section.

2) build 12' x 12' deck abutting the high roof side of the bunkie.

3) build mirror image bunkie against the other side of the deck with same roof slope.

4) Stick frame in the perimeter of the deck, extend the roof lines to a center peak. 12x12 deck area now enclosed with additional sleeping area above, wood stove on 1st level in the 12x12 space with a cabin that is 12x28.

This is in its infancy and I will have to contact the zoning department to see how many bunkies I may put on my lot.

Sonotube piers, beefed up rim beams on the 28' sides and sufficient columns at the 14' center resting on the beams and piers to carry the roof load and ridge beam. Rafters for the center section sistered (birdmouthed as well?) onto the top plate and shed rafters of each bunkie. 90 degree stairs with mid landing to the second story.

Anyone attempted something like this? Pitfalls and tips?

Obviously my first step is to check the zoning.

Thanks for sharing all your completed projects and ideas

creeky
# Posted: 30 Sep 2016 09:36

sounds like a neat project. that cabin plan thing looked pretty fancy too. good luck.

btw. I like the multiple buildings with deck in between. I have a 12x20 Great room (kitchen/tv room), 2 decks, then a 10x14 winter bedroom arrangement. Works real nice.

Downsides are the duplication of resources. ie. two heaters. or in my case 3 as my washroom is in a separate building. More wall space also = more heating load.

Upside. If you make something smelly for supper you go to the bedroom for the night and all is clean and fresh. Plus it is real nice to "get away" to the bedroom at night. And my girlfriend and I have different schedules. She's a night owl. I'm an early bird. The separated buildings mean I can bang away making coffee in the a.m. and no one is disturbed. Or she can stay up watching chick flicks while I'm slumbering softly.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.