Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Exterior Wall - R Panel
TWOhunter
# Posted: 6 Dec 2016 12:34

Anybody used a R-Panel type material for exterior wall construction?
I am considering building a small cabin on my hunting lease on skids approximately 12x36 and have these things in mind:

- low maintenance. thinking of using r-panel for roof and exterior walls
- minimize weight in case I have to move it some day
- moisture proof. I don't want any issues with water coming in on roof and/or walls.

Thoughts or guidance ??? I'm new to this forum and have really learned a bunch thus far. Thanks in advance.

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Dec 2016 14:46

Quoting: TWOhunter
- minimize weight in case

Reading your post it sounds like you want to use the ribbed metal panels without having any OSB/plywood sheathing panels. Is that a correct interpretation? Or......?

sparky30_06
# Posted: 6 Dec 2016 15:06 - Edited by: sparky30_06

you can use R panel on your exterior wall without sheathing. Check out this thread and the pictures will give you an idea of how to frame it.
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/1_6589_1.html

Or you can use T1-11 and attach directly to the studs.

TWOhunter
# Posted: 6 Dec 2016 16:00

Thanks sparky.... I had a.ready read most of that tread of yours and didnt realize that exterior material was r-panel. Looks great.

MtnDon.... I would be ok in leaving off the osb on walls if that is ok from a moisture barrier standpoint.

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Dec 2016 16:50

Quoting: TWOhunter
I would be ok in leaving off the osb on walls if that is ok from a moisture barrier standpoint.

Water vapor in the air inside will condense of the metal whenever the metal temperature is below the dewpoint. Depending on where you are and time of year that could be quite often.

As for using without sheathing (OSB, plywood,...) not all metal panels are rated as structural. That is, not all metal panels are designed to be used without structural sheathing. You may have noticed sometimes homes are built with OSB panels at the corners and if the walls are longer enough at periodic intervals. That is to make the wall structure have sufficient rigidity to withstand wind loads. Same thing applies to roof structures.

TWOhunter
# Posted: 6 Dec 2016 18:37 - Edited by: TWOhunter

Good info MtnDon

I'm in east Texas and we have high humidity during a large portion of the year.
One of my criteria is low maintenance and to avoid water/moisture issues for sure.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 6 Dec 2016 20:47

I used T1-11 on my shack. Where at in East Texas you at??

TWOhunter
# Posted: 6 Dec 2016 20:48

I live in Lufkin, but my hunting property is in Newton county in southeast Texas

sparky30_06
# Posted: 6 Dec 2016 20:55

Nice I'm in Magnolia and lease is in D'Hanis

DaveBell
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 04:57

There is a video on youtube with some guy putting roofing panels on as siding. Very detailed also.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 07:19

by running 2x4 nailers horizontally every 2 foot that will stiffen the structure for any wind load. I would recommend a 2x6 on the bottom to attach your bottom trim and your first row of screws. My next hunting shack will be metal r panel for siding and roof.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.