Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What wood and finish is on this wall?
KinAlberta
# Posted: 3 May 2017 01:27 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I'm trying to figure out what the wall in this picture is made of.
Likely it's pine or fir. I'd been guessing it was fit but now I'm not so sure.

Then what is the finish. Shellac on pine is amber but this finish is more orange like a finish looks on cherry. (The wood isn't cherry.)

These pics are of rooms at Jasper Park Lodge:

benny8
# Posted: 3 May 2017 04:10

I'm going with v-groove knotty pine with varnish that has aged.

Eddy G
# Posted: 3 May 2017 05:29

Agreed, the wood looks like pine. Its hard to say in a picture because pine ages the way it does. Some shellac is already orange (amber) but I believe even clear shellac will darken and pine will get there eventually. Its very smooth, stains unlikely.
We have some aged pine on our porch ceiling that's got that type of color.
Recently we started putting new t&g pine on the living room ceiling and walls. We love the lighter natural look of the raw wood so to keep it that way we used 3 Coates of water based clear polyurethane. It will still age and get darker but take a lot longer.

Cowracer
# Posted: 3 May 2017 08:46 - Edited by: Cowracer

It looks like aged amber shellac, about 4 coats, and sanded between coats.

Below is some pine test boards that I did with amber shellac. The white board is obviously unfinished

The boards in the background is 1 coat. The boards to the right are 2 coats. Its in blasting sunlight, so it looks a bit lighter than it really was. The more coats the darker it gets. It also darkens as it ages.

Tim

Steve_S
# Posted: 3 May 2017 09:11

To test IF it is indeed shellac, get some denatured alcohol and apply a wee bit (a few drops only) onto an inconspicuous spot and wait a minute or two, then wipe with a cloth. If it softens up and get's sticky, it is more than likely Shellac, as synthetic's like urethane will not react to alcohol or water (yes water will make shellac go opaque white if left wet).

Re-staining: Shellac is a neutral sealer and can be painted over, it will prevent bleed through from the pine sap. It is a key component in products like BINZ. Depending on how well is was applied, you can sometimes varnish over it ! BUT ! you have to test in a little hidden spot first ! There can be unpleasant interactions, most especially with water based varnishes. Shellac is neutral, non-toxic and uses an alcohol base as it's solvent, therefore you can safely sand it without having to worry about the dust. Note that Shellac has no UV protection and wherever the sun shines on it, it will change colour by lightening compared to where no sun contact.

PS: I have been using shellac for my wood project since I was a wee nipper on the farm and still use it today. I've tried the synthetic ones and they have their place and in my little world that is extremely minimal.

Side note of experience... Something I have noticed as a peculiarity in regards to shellac finishes. It seems that should shellac be exposed to cigarette smoke for example, it seems to attract the goo - maybe it's the surface finish or something else, I am not sure... but it's not the easiest to clean off / prep prior to refinishing, makes it "gummy" (best descriptive word to use) and that can make the job quite frustrating.

Pine or not... IMO what you have there appears to be White Pine. Red Pine would be more pronounced as this is older wood and the sap would have aged / coloured it more. Even kiln dried red pine will leach colour & darken over time, just the nature of the wood.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 3 May 2017 09:20 - Edited by: KinAlberta

The trim looks like fir as it looks just like the shellacked fir trim in our cabins. The walls though look quite a bit different than our shellacked knotty pine walls. For one, this looks like a less 'knotty' pine. Definitely looks like multiple coats. I sure like the look.

Both of our cabins have shellac on knotty pine. One was painted with shellac in the 1950s and the other around 1990. They both have a yellow-orange (amber) look to them but nothing like the orange I see in this picture. I saw this furniture at the local Habitat for Humanity (JPL was renovating and disposing of the furnishings a couple years ago ) and the other colours in the picture look true. Also, note the bedroom headboard. It's maple and that orange, rather than yellow hue visible in other photos of other accommodations there.

Additionally I see other JPL pics where the pine look like our pine. Interestingly, the resort used a number of different finishes in different buildings. Eg the fir in the main lodge had a very rich looking reddish finish compared to the yellow look of a clear finish on pine.

Here's another old hotel in Jasper that used knotty pine:
note how much more yellow it looks. Our cabin walls, under all kinds of different lighting still have this, more yellowish hue than what I see in the Jasper Park Lodge photos at the top.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 7 Nov 2018 16:45 - Edited by: KinAlberta

My original image link seems to have gone dead. Here it is again.

It has an orange hue rather than the amber / yellow of standard shellacked knotty pine boards.

https://wetu.com/ImageHandler/c400x175/33658/Fairmont_Jasper_Park_Lodge_-_Deluxe_Room _with_Sitting_Area.jpg

Cowracer
# Posted: 9 Nov 2018 08:59 - Edited by: Cowracer

It definitely looks like amber shellac. I still think its 4-5 coats. Maybe its not on a blonde wood like pine but something darker.

FWIW... My walls look plenty 'orange' with only 2 coats on pine and a couple years of aging.

Tim

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.