Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Thinking of making a banister out of a tree
Smawgunner
# Posted: 28 Jul 2017 15:55

I have a perfectly straight poplar in front of the cabin that I would like to cut down and make a handrail for the stairs in our cabin. I don't know much about working with live trees, after cutting it down do I let it dry before putting it up? Is it easier to rip the bark off now or do I let it dry?
My initial thought was to cut it down and screw it in place and let it dry out that way. Once the bark falls off I would sand it down. Let me know your thoughts on that.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 29 Jul 2017 00:44

Will be easier to peel green bark off compared to dry bark, at least that is my experience with pine. If you want it to dry with "controlled" checking, you can put a saw kerf down one side, maybe 1/3 of the radius of the tree in depth, and *most* of the checking will likely occur along that kerf or close by. Again, my experience with evergreens - maybe someone who has dealt with poplar will have better/different advice.

I would put it in the barn or someplace sheltered to dry it, and let it dry over the winter slowly - that will minimize any twisting and checking. I would not screw it in place until next year when you can assess how it will best fit from a structural and visual standpoint.

I'm not an expert on this by any means (just relating my somewhat limited experience) so you may find better advice from others here or on the interweb.

Greenland South
# Posted: 29 Jul 2017 10:35

Hey Smawgunner,
If you're not intending to change the dimensions,other than the length l would cut it, peel it and install it. Sand and finish it after it drys. You will have to ensure whatever fastening you use is secure and can tightened as the bannister drys out. Milled poplar tends to be a bit unstable as it drys and you may end up with something resembling an S curve if it's not well secured as it drys.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.