Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Sub floor question
Srollins
# Posted: 11 Nov 2017 09:10

Morning all,

I will try to keep it short, building a cabin in West Virginia . Floor joist in place and ready for plywood subfloor, I don't have time to insulate but eventually will ( possibly 1-2 years down the road ) All framing is pressure treated plywood will be 3/4 OSB T&G low end of cabin floor is approx. 2' off the ground high end is approx. 4' off the ground. To get a jump on getting this thing under roof come spring I wanted to install the subfloor then a series of 4 mill plastic, concrete insulation blankets, then top it with a good quality tarp to keep it dry.

question: Should I coat the underside of the plywood with something to avoid rot or mildew/mold? will any grow on the subfloor in this application? I was thinking of coating the back side with a roofing tar/ foundation coating that I can get for zero cost. Or should I just simply lay the stuff down and cover up until spring? Could I be over thinking this? I will be insulating I just don't want to spend 600.00 on plywood and have it go to waste and I certainly don't want to rip out the subfloor to replace it, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Srollins
# Posted: 11 Nov 2017 09:37

Sorry forgot I kinda asked this question once before , still wondering if it makes sense to coat the underside of the plywood?

Just
# Posted: 11 Nov 2017 10:26 - Edited by: Just

As long as you can keep it dry it will be fine but if it gets wet under the plastic, not good !!! If you could get a air space between the plastic and the wood that would be better . Then if it did get wet it could dry and not rot . Try building a temporary roof with a bit of slope to it to help direct the water off the floor .You only need a few inches of air space .just my thoughts !!! .O I would not treat the under side with any thing that could prevent it from drying ,lots of air is best..

Srollins
# Posted: 11 Nov 2017 10:30

Thanks Just might just do a small pitch .

ICC
# Posted: 11 Nov 2017 11:03 - Edited by: ICC

I would not bother with tarping. Every tarped floor I have seen, including a the only oneIever did myself, leaked badly. Not worth the effort. My first choice would be to wait till spring and do the entire shell together.

I would use Advantech subflooring. Never PT in a structure that will be lived in. If the chemicals kill or keep insects away what do they do to people with long term, under your feet all day, exposure.

At 2 feet off the ground you do not need PT for the subfloor. If you chose to use PT because of your planned overwintering, don't.

Look for and buy Advantech subfloor. Made by Huber Engineered Woods. best stuff ever made for a sub floor. It might actually last all through your winter without any protection. I believe they have a weather guarantee. Check them out.

Using Advantech now and knowing the rest of the build will be after winter is over would be my second choice. Only because I have not personally tyried that time interval exposed to the weather. From what I have seen over three month periods it will probably be fine with SAdvantech.

Srollins
# Posted: 11 Nov 2017 11:05

10-4 thank you sir

rockies
# Posted: 12 Nov 2017 18:35

How will you eventually insulate the floor?

Srollins
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 07:14

Well I have a slight change of plans , I came across about 20 4x8 sheets of 2" thick insulation board with an R value of 5 . I know that's not a whole lot but its something and free so I plan to attach 3" plywood strips to the underside of each joist creating a ledge for the board to rest on then spray foam the edges to keep them in place.

Mike 870
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 09:28

Seriously, as posted before, Advantec is awesome. Water just beads off it. I know it's expensive, but if it's going to be exposed, it will save you so much frustration later on. Regular OSB just swells and deforms, requires a lot of sanding to get it flat again. I've tried using poly to keep a subfloor dry, for me it had the opposite effect, seemed to trap moisture and prevent drying.

MntGoat
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 10:33

Remember to use fasteners rated for pressure treated lumber when installing the OSB.

Srollins
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 11:02

Cant find anywhere close to West Virginia that sells advantec

Mike 870
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 16:15

Do you have a Carter Lumber near you? I know they carry it.

Srollins
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 17:56

I looked and yes I have a carters in Frederick md which is on my way to WV and I also pulled up a lowes in WV and they say they carry it , but that on line so I will be making calls tomorrow and one way or another I will be getting advantech , thanks guys

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.