Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / floor insulation
jjlrrw
# Posted: 21 Nov 2017 23:14

I have an open floor joist 16" on center. I don't have walls that extend all the way to the ground so air will blow under it. Cabin is built like a deck on pillars.

12x24 the first 12' I have somewhat easy access 2 to 4' of space, the other 12' no access 6" tops.

I was thinking batt insulation then cover with 3/4 4x8' sheets of foam to close it off. Not sure a R-value to go with, the 3/4 foam will add an extra R4.4.

Then the other 12', I could pull some plywood floor tack a 2x2 on the bottom of the joist drop in the foam and top off with batt. This would be lots of work.

Can they spray a tight area with only 6" of ground clearance? would be nice to drill a bunch of holes and pump it fill of expanding foam.

Thoughts? we are a bit cost sensitive on this project.

thanks

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 22 Nov 2017 11:48

How cold is it where you live? How often will you use the cabin during the cold?

jjlrrw
# Posted: 22 Nov 2017 13:14

Cabin is located in NLP of Michigan winters months average lows near 20 high near 30°F. We will use on most weekends once the winter gets going, we do plan to drain water and set furnace back to 45 or shut off when not there.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Nov 2017 14:51

I don't know how fancy the cottage is. But I put xps on top of the subfloor. And then I put a new subfloor on top of that.

I've done it three times now. It does work. I used 4" xps designed for foundations. These sheets have the overlap to help them stick together. I cut them tight so they really wedge in against the walls. Tongue and groove 5/8" ply over top. Finish floor over that.

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 22 Nov 2017 17:03

Have you gone through a winter yet using it as is? Maybe it won't be so bad uninsulated. Even in much colder places, cabin floors never used to be insulated. Maybe putting down carpet or rugs will be enough. I use my cabin down to about -10F. It is insulated like Creeky's is with foam sheets wedged in between 2 subfloors. Except his is 4" and ours is only 1.5" thick. We don't heat it when we aren't there. The first 24hrs the floor is still pretty chilly and we wear slippers. After that it's ok. Probably we burn more wood than we would otherwise. Oh well.

morock
# Posted: 23 Nov 2017 10:16

The simplest solution is these, I love mine. Everyone gets a pair.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-586/Hut-Bootie

The only thing between me and the outside is my booties a carpet and 5/8 plywood.

neckless
# Posted: 27 Nov 2017 07:59 - Edited by: neckless

what ever you dont do now you will regret later...lol....2 inch Styrofoam is plenty...put keepers on joists and drop in foam.. 1 inch air space is a must.. mines good in -40

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.