Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Can the wind damage a wood cabin?
Xeta
# Posted: 1 Dec 2017 03:31

Hello everyone,

We recently completed building a 10x13 feet wood cabin on a piers foundation, in a small village, and some of the village folk have been saying that the winds could blow away the house and so on, which upset me a bit.

The land is located not exactly on a hill, but nevertheless on a relatively high and exposed spot. I know the winds in the region can be somewhat strong, but basically never any tornados or hurricanes. (I checked with the weather bureau, and the annual average wind speed in the region is about 7.5 mph. The strongest winds are in February and the strongest within the last 2 years was about 56 mph.)

Is there really a possibility of such damage from the wind? If so, is there anything we can do to prevent or reduce such risks?

Thank you.

ICC
# Posted: 1 Dec 2017 10:29

Quoting: Xeta
some of the village folk have been saying that the winds could blow away the house

They are correct. Maybe not blow it away, but being blown off the piers is possible. Google mobile home anchors. That is one of the reasonspiers are not approved by building codes without engineering.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Dec 2017 23:40 - Edited by: Gary O

We gets winds to 80 mph
all my builds are on skids
zero movement

my opine;
yer fine
unless yer roof is a sail
....or yer piers are on the tall side

Gary O
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 16:29

Quoting: Gary O
my opine;yer fine

Please forgive that
Nothing to fall off of when on skids
'piers', I have no idea

Hey, work with me, I'm old, and live in the woods

creeky
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 18:49

Ah. Locals are pullin' yer leg. Its 10x13. How tall? 20feet?

Never hurts of plant some bushes and trees for a wind break. this winter you could string a snow fence.

but I'd say the thing you have to worry the most about is guys with new photo editing software. my eyes!

Gary O
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 20:10

Quoting: creeky
but I'd say the thing you have to worry the most about is guys with new photo editing software. my eyes!

well now, that shortens the list

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 20:44

Santa O, is creeky getting coal this year?
Creeky, get a coal fired stove, that will show him!

Wilbour
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 21:34

My local building inspector advised me to anchor my little 10 x 16 down. But in truth it's a heavy little cabin. I imagine that any wind strong enough to move it would also be enough to damage it quite substantially if it was anchored anyways.

I must admit that it does shake a bit with the wind gusts we get.

creeky
# Posted: 4 Dec 2017 09:28

If santa o is shippin' it I'm sure it will burn.

Gary O
# Posted: 4 Dec 2017 22:44

Quoting: Wilbour
My local building inspector advised me to anchor my little 10 x 16 down. But in truth it's a heavy little cabin. I imagine that any wind strong enough to move it would also be enough to damage it quite substantially if it was anchored anyways.

That's where I'm at

Gary O
# Posted: 5 Dec 2017 01:34

If santa o is shippin' it I'm sure it will burn.

wy....whatever could you mean?

creeky
# Posted: 5 Dec 2017 08:24

between you and Hattie. i'm waking up to some good laffs.
Laughter: Just like choppin' wood. Your gift warms me two ways.

Gary O
# Posted: 5 Dec 2017 10:57 - Edited by: Gary O

Laughter: Just like choppin' wood

true

..and now I must take control back from the keyboard, as I've been rather cherubesque for quite some time now

I mean even though it's therapeutic to give the nasal passages a coffee enema from time to time, too much is, well...too much

Xeta
# Posted: 9 Dec 2017 02:43

The house is about 9 feet tall. We used anchors. Planting trees and so on for windbreak also sounds like a good idea.

Thank you all.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.