Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / recommended books, "how to" blogs, etc?
chuck001
# Posted: 31 Dec 2017 13:15 - Edited by: chuck001

Hi all. I lived in the UP during summer '14 and fell in love with it but had to move due to work. I am getting myself in a position where I can take on a cabin building project so I am on the lookout for testimonials, articles, books, etc.

I'm not looking to build something caveman style, as I practically have every tool to do this, so a bit of modernization will be factored in even though I want it to be as rustic as possible.

Before the negativity, yes, I am very well acclimated to harsh weather. I spent many months in Alaska, most of which were Januarys and Februarys over the course of 3 years.

All advice is appreciated! Thanks folks!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Jan 2018 09:56

For general building, look at anything from a guy named Larry Haun. A good book to have is the "efficient carpenter by Larry Haun (he has other books too)". He also has youtube videos too. Use his name in a search to find him. It will be him and his brother. Man, this guy is so efficient, he doesn't waste a single movement. He has passed away but was a great humanitarian and just a real gentle caring soul.

chuck001
# Posted: 1 Jan 2018 15:29

thank you! i just looked him up on youtube and seems like a great guide.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 2 Jan 2018 19:25

http://wood.woodtools.nov.ru/books/jc_working_alone/jc_working_alone.pdf

socceronly
# Posted: 8 Jan 2018 01:55

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
For general building, look at anything from a guy named Larry Haun. A good book to have is the "efficient carpenter by Larry Haun (he has other books too)". He also has youtube videos too. Use his name in a search to find him. It will be him and his brother. Man, this guy is so efficient, he doesn't waste a single movement. He has passed away but was a great humanitarian and just a real gentle caring soul.

I ordered all of his DVDs, but I think only one is still in print. Amazon cancelled the orders on two of the three.

Going to start hunting the others soon.

I'll look for the books

Cowracer
# Posted: 8 Jan 2018 09:28

My blog is a pretty good guide of what NOT to do. lol

Tim

Borrego
# Posted: 8 Jan 2018 09:50

There is a wealth of building info on a youtube site called 'Essential Craftsman'. The guys name is Scott, I have been very impressed. Not cabin or off-grid, just general, but very skilled guy....

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 8 Jan 2018 12:45 - Edited by: KelVarnsen

I've always thought that Steve Maxwell had some good articles and tips: Steve Maxwell Site

He also has plans and videos for sale: Plans

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.