Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Finally.... (Steel roof)
Rickant
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 06:19 - Edited by: Rickant

After several years of looking and several failed attempts at purchasing properties we finally closed on one! Although the land is smaller than we had hoped, the trade off is that it is relatively secluded but a short commute. It has a cabin which s structurally in good shape but I have a few projects already which I will post separately because they all affect different things!

One of the projects is to complete an unfinished room that seems to have been used for storage. It has two external doors which I will replace with Windows or a window and patio door. The question is insulating the roof. The room is all bare to the studeps and appears to be properly framed and structured. There is no ceiling so it is open to the roof. The roof is metal but was laid on the perlins with no sheathing. I don't want to remove the roof and sheath it but I do want to insulate it. One option is spray foam but that would be costly and
Impractical in this location. The other option is to put a ceiling at las part way up and insulate with vapour barrier and batting. The issue I am told is that the metal will sweat in the summer and ruin the insulation. This is for three season use. Any thoughts? The room is an addition at the end of the cabin, one wall is the external wall of the cabin so I guess I will need to remove the old siding from that wall too.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 09:51

It will sweat. I added metal to mine, mfg said the purlins are fine for open barn etc. But in my case, they wanted a substrate (plywood) and 30# felt. I did it right by their specs. Zero issues. The metal is screwed down, be a snap to remove it, sheet it, screw it right back down. Could you sheet over the purlins?

Rickant
# Posted: 13 Jan 2018 07:40

Will have to have a look. Seems like a silly idea but sheath under the joists? Then create an attic space below that? With four little kids and a stretched budget I’m really hoping to did an easy button (that isn’t do nothing). Maybe if I create a well ventilated attic space that would be enough.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Jan 2018 21:19

Rickant, I think that is key. If its an attic, with great ventilation, you may be fine. Its the big temp difference and no moving air that will be trouble. Insulate the attic floor.

But metal roofing is screwed down, could it be unscrewed, pulled up, then sheeted with plywood, then 30# felt and then screw metal roofing right back down? If you create an attic, you have sheeting to do anyway. This could be done in a weekend, or you could tackle a single side at a time. Pick good weather, have materials on hand in advance and have enough.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.