Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 10'x12' cabin bunkhouse beginner questions
lburners
# Posted: 25 Jan 2018 22:50

I am planning on building a 10x12 bunkhouse with a shed style roof on deck blocks. Was hoping to have a 12' height on the front wall and 10' height on the rear wall. Across a 10ft span it seems like the roof pitch will not be steep enough so might need bring the rear wall down a bit. Also I am wondering if securing the structure to the ground is standard procedure or if the weight of it is typically enough to keep it stable in New England wind speeds? It does seem like we are getting more high speed winds this way. Although the location will be in a semi protected area.

lburners
# Posted: 1 Feb 2018 19:16

No comments? Guessing information a little to vague. Maybe I will see what I can do with sketchup if I have a bit to learn how to use it.

rockies
# Posted: 1 Feb 2018 20:10

Well, you'll have to use a standing seam metal roof since most shingles don't work well at that roof pitch.

The only thing I can say is to use larger than code structural members. 2x10's for floor, 2x6 for wall, 2x12 for roof rafters. I know, some will say that's oversized but why not provide more room for insulation?

Since your cabin is quite tall compared to it's width and length I would anchor it so the wind doesn't knock it off the blocks. Also, beware of too wide an overhang so the wind doesn't lift your roof off (use tie down anchors).

lburners
# Posted: 1 Feb 2018 22:56

All good information thanks. Noted on the standing seam. What would be some techniques for anchoring if using deck blocks?

Just
# Posted: 2 Feb 2018 08:20

they sell hurricane metal strapping to hold down your cabin it is attached to the frame of the cabin during construction. then to somthing buried deep in the ground (( 4 ft. ) . Is the reason for the high roof to get more loft space ?if so turn the roof in the opposite direction. that will help .

rockies
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 18:46

One other option for such a small bunkhouse would be to put the floor framing on skids on a bed of gravel.
Skid Foundation
Skid Foundation

lburners
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 19:36 - Edited by: lburners

Not a bad idea. I was thinking the with deck blocks 4x4 runners and 2x10 framing under the subfloor might give a nice height to give some airflow.
Guess maybe overthinking for such a small structure but its part of the process for me.

Just
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 20:49

Any wood closer to the grown than 16 in. Should be pressure treated..

lburners
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 21:25

Yes thanks. I am planning on using pressure treated for all the above mentioned. How about the 3/4" ply subfloor? Might as well go pressure treated with that as well right?

darz5150
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 21:44

Quoting: lburners
How about the 3/4" ply subfloor?

Advantech makes a great subfloor.

lburners
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 21:54

Alright will take a look at that. Guessing the foundation and subfloor will might be exposed for a bit.

Just
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 22:00

I like to cover the entire bottom with 1/2in pt plywood keeps the bugs and critters out , then some sort of insulation , then regular subfloor that way no chemicals inside the cabin . We have porkypines here, it seems to keep them at bay . I use pressure treated 2x8s for the rim joists only , the rest of them 2x8 spruce .

lburners
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 17:59

Ok,
So you attach your wall framing straight to the PT ply and then lay insulation and subfloor on the interior?

rockies
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 18:58

I would use Roxul Comfortbatt mineral wool insulation for the floor cavity bays. it is fire resistant material that insulates better that the pink stuff. Don't stuff the cavity full, leave about 2 inches of air space on top. Strangely, it makes the floor feel warmer.

I would probably put a moisture barrier on top of the floor joists before you fasten down the subfloor (not poly but one of the smart membranes that still let the floor cavity breath a bit).

Just
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 19:28

Yes I build the frame and apply the p.t. plywood then flip it over and attach it to the skids ( you will need some help that day ) then add the insulation and subfloor.

lburners
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 19:39

Ok interesting so the PT is on the bottom of the frame. I was thinking some sort of sandwiched PT-Foam insulation-subfloor Thanks for clarifying.

Just
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 20:16

Iburners..try searching 7 day build in the cabin construction catagory member ( just ) . may give some ideas .

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.