Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood board roof
KinAlberta
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 08:21 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Turned on the tv and saw that an old episode of Rifleman was playing. The first thing I saw was a stationhouse and a shed with wide board roofs. (Stage sets likely.)

The one on the main building was overlapping boards (shingle style or shiplap style ? )

Soooo.... ‘wood’n’t that work today for outbuildings? Use a membrane that would seal the screw holes and use pressure treated boards. Maybe use either a ‘horizontal’ overlapping style or even a ‘vertical’ board and batten style.

A decent tarpaper or rubber membrane cover over the sheathing to shed water coming through cracks or popped knots and prevent water seapage at the screws MIGHT work, right?

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 08:37

I had a small building with an overlapping board (shiplap style) roof. It looked cool, but I wouldn't want it for a cabin. It leaked air right from the start and water after a few years. It wasn't a problem because I was just using it as a chicken coop. Then again, it didn't have a membrane, so maybe that would have helped. I have seen the board and batten style in pictures of a number of Scandinavian summer cottages. Once again it looks great, but I'm not sure about performance.

neckless
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 12:36

ceder shake shingles been around a long time

Steve_S
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 14:30

I have seen what is called a "Clinker Style Roof" used on sheds and outbuildings. Typically they use decommissioned boats as a roof structure which were made using the Clinker method. On the east coast (Nova Scotia) I sis see one large boat builder shop that had a Clinker Roof on it and it was built that way for the building, seems to work OK and in their case it was also advertising. That was long ago and sorry I can't locate info on them to link here.

One thing, you might look here to see an assortment of examples of it. NOTE it is Pinterest so if you don't have an account I am not sure how much you'll see but if you google "Clinker Roof" you find some.

Much would depend on the type of wood, location (climate wise) and how much maintenance your willing to deal with.

As reckless pointed out, Cedar Shakes have been around a very long time, so it's not all that new.

Jebediah
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 16:37

Theres a UT channel where the guy built a cabin with a board/baten type roof...."My self reliance" He also burnt the boards, pretty nice look.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 23:25 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I know about shakes. I’d bet board roofs predate shakes by a few centuries at least.

Board roof - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_roof

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 09:52 - Edited by: KelVarnsen

I saw this timelapse video (full video here) of a guy using boards for his log cabin roof. It was a really interesting video.

Jebediah
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 13:41

That's the UT channel I mentioned....he did a great job on that build.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 12 Feb 2018 10:22

The guy from My Self Reliance appears to have done a very good job with his roof (and everything else I've seen). I really have enjoyed following his channel and progress.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.