Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Has anyone used the EZ-Crete stackable foundation piers?
MikeOnBear
# Posted: 13 Mar 2018 15:27

We plan to build 20x28 with 8' porch along one 28' length in NW Alabama.

Was looking on THD website pricing material and came across a EZ-Crete footing. They say it can be used anywhere a sonotube could be. Basically, a pre-cast 22" concrete footing with stackable 12" sections, and a threaded rod. They bury in the ground. They sell 42" and 54" tall kits. as far south as we are, I was thinking the 42" kit and 36" in the ground.

Found the parent website too.
https://www.ez-crete.com/

Has anyone used these?

I was thinking 3 rows of beams each supported by 4 piers under the cabin and then whatever I need to support the outer edge of porch.

We need to come up about 5' to our floor joists so I was thinking:
Piers stick out of the ground 4"-6"
They use a metal bracket to secure to the post.
Then use 4' posts either 6x6 or 8x8.
Cap that with beams made of 2x12
and finally my floor joists.

My concern is the stability of the posts. Curious if anyone has used these? Was cross bracing post to post enough or did you still have to do any diagonal bracing directly to the ground? Guess it would be a similar question if you built on sonotubes and posts.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 13 Mar 2018 18:01

I didn't do EZ-Crete, but something similar with pier blocks. I did a thread about it a while back. There are some pictures and you can read some other user comments about lateral stability, etc.

Piers thread.

MikeOnBear
# Posted: 14 Mar 2018 10:02

Thanks KelVarnsen for the reply. Some interesting reading there. It is the lateral strength that I am concerned about.
Not a heavy snow load to concern you here, but definitely high winds from storms.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.