Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Porch Pics, ????
RazrRebel
# Posted: 16 Apr 2018 12:34

I have a 16 X 24 cabin that me, and my family have been working on for awhile now. I'm ready to build a wrap around porch, starting in the front. I have a question about the upright posts. Is it all right to build the porch as if you were building a deck then add the uprights for the roof, or should I have the posts come all the way up from the ground to the roof. There are a couple of reasons I'm trying to stay away from the latter method. My cabin is only accessible by side by side or four wheeler. Long straight 4 x4's or 6x6's are really hard to haul, and are hard to come by, also most new home construction around here "Southwest Va." has block or brick for skirting, with the porch to match. So all their porch columns are placed on top of the concrete porch. Does this sound fine. Just asking you guys, also some porch pics would be great!

crowsnest2002
# Posted: 16 Apr 2018 19:14

Just something i liked.
Screenshot_20180411.png
Screenshot_20180411.png
Screenshot_20180411.png
Screenshot_20180411.png
Screenshot_20180411.png
Screenshot_20180411.png

Wilbour
# Posted: 18 Apr 2018 03:06

porschemodel.png
porschemodel.png

RazrRebel
# Posted: 18 Apr 2018 08:48

That's good! More relevant than you think. Along time ago I was in the military in Germany. 1986 through 1989, while there I bought a little 1978 Porsche. Thought I was going to bring it home, and be the man in my little redneck town. Got it to the dock to be inspected, well at that time German car specs was no way close to American cars. Needless to say last minute I couldn't afford all the work so had to sell the Porsche. Closest I've came since that to a sports car was a Corvette, uhh I mean Chevette. Man I sound so pitiful. I did have a Kawasaki Ninja once, didn't keep it long, hit a deer with it.

Wilbour
# Posted: 18 Apr 2018 12:36

Chevette was my first car. Had a real job with benifits so i had to have a new car, just not a very good one. But hey, got me to the White Mountains of NH , Washington DC, Adirondacks and the Maritime Povences of Canada.

Now I'd be content with a nice Porch.

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Apr 2018 15:57

Quoting: RazrRebel
Is it all right to build the porch as if you were building a deck then add the uprights for the roof, or should I have the posts come all the way up from the ground to the roof.

Waaay stronger if you do the latter

Ken Robbins
# Posted: 28 Apr 2018 19:28

My thinking is that it's OK as long as you get the load transferred to the ground and get it anchored down but just my opinion. That's how I did mine in AK, pics not the best but shows the concept.
I'm pretty much making it up as I go so some of my thinking is happening after the fact.
1523720007285_PART_1.jpg
1523720007285_PART_1.jpg
IMG_0534.JPG
IMG_0534.JPG

GregGibson
# Posted: 3 May 2018 12:08

I used cypress posts on my cabin porch. They look as though they grew there ! I'm 7 feet above grade, because the creek that's about 100 feet away floods every few years. I've had water 5 feet up the support posts !
Porch on my Cabin
Porch on my Cabin

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.