Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Chicago screws
KinAlberta
# Posted: 6 May 2018 11:59 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I hope everyone knows about these male/female nuts/bolts.

Since kitchen and other cabinets often end up reused in cabins, some basic easy fixes might allow someone to get sightly damaged cabinets dirt cheap and then repair them. Or just wear and tear causes the doors to get loose in the pressboard frames.

I was googling hinge failure (IKEA cupboards where hinges pull out of the pressboard and was amazed at the repair advice and the total lack of mention of a Chicago screw repair option. Unless I’m missing something a Chicago screw could solve many of the problem situations in 20 seconds. Just drill through the cabinet hole and put the hinge back with a Chicago screw.

For example read this thread and the advice given (only one poster mentioned a nut and bolt - an uglier solution):

Help me fix a broken cabinet door/hinge - homerepair | Ask MetaFilter
https://ask.metafilter.com/240955/Help-me-fix-a-broken-cabinet-doorhinge

How to Fix a Broken Door Hinge | Family Handyman
https://www.familyhandyman.com/doors/repair/how-to-fix-a-broken-door-hinge/view-all/

Background:

So we just bought a huge Ikea wardrobe that we’ve subsequently learned may have a door problem. (It’s now discontinued and we heard it is in for a redesign. I also heard that our dry climate caused problems with the door hinges.)

So since our doors are to be delivered tomorrow I thought I might reinforce them. I love the unit and the look of it plus had to assemble it upright due to ceiling clearance. I’ll look at it and see if I can’t completely avoid any risk of hinges tearing out by putting in a couple Chicago screws.

I’ve bought them before at Tandy Leather where they had quite a wide selection. They are cheap online too.

Sex bolt - Wikipedia
“A sex bolt, (also known as a barrel nut,[1] barrel bolt, Chicago screw, post and screw or connector bolt),[2][3] is a type of fastener (nut) that has a barrel-shaped flange and protruding bossthat is internally threaded. The boss sits within the components being fastened, the flange provides the bearing surface. The sex bolt and accompanying machine screw sit flush on either side of the surfaces being fastened. It is normally chosen because of its low profile compared to other nuts. The sex bolt often has a built-in feature, such as a slot, to aid in tightening the fastener. Some sex bolts, more commonly known as "architectural bolts", have knurled barrels to allow one-sided assembly. "Binding posts" are similar to architectural bolts in that they are designed to be assembled from one side, but they have teeth on the flanged surface to keep them fixed.

A sex bolt is a mating fastener combining a fastener (nut) with a fastener (screw). The sex bolt consists of a female (internally) threaded barrel (nut) and a male (externally) threaded screw. “

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_bolt

rockies
# Posted: 6 May 2018 19:04

An excellent product, and I'm not even going to make a single joke about the bolt

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.