Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Deck Extension Despite Stump/Roots
SE Ohio
# Posted: 14 May 2018 16:52

I'd like to extend cabin deck, but an oak stump and roots will be in the way. Normally I'd like to get a footer 32 inches deep or so but i dont think i can chip away that much oak root. The other post/footer locations look fine.

Is there a good way to work through the roots, or should I just stick a post atop a solid root? Other ideas?

Hoping to keep my boys busy this summer...

SE Ohio
Sammy on construction guard duty
Sammy on construction guard duty
8 12 and 16 foot extension stakes
8 12 and 16 foot extension stakes
Another view of deck area
Another view of deck area

NorthRick
# Posted: 14 May 2018 17:29

Quoting: SE Ohio
Is there a good way to work through the roots, or should I just stick a post atop a solid root? Other ideas?

Got an old chainsaw? Dig around the root as best you can to expose it and then cut it out with a chainsaw. Wear good protective equipment in case you hit a rock and the chain comes apart (usually just dulls it in about 0.000001 seconds).

Other thing would be to rethink the deck supports to avoid one close to the tree.

DaveBell
# Posted: 14 May 2018 17:58

Build around the tree. Seen it done, very cool.
You can also cantilever a deck, might need to in one corner. Measure everything and post plans. You'll have the coolest deck in the forest.

ICC
# Posted: 14 May 2018 18:18 - Edited by: ICC

Roots of a dead tree will rot, that's one reason dead trees all eventually fall over; you don't want to build on a dead root or stump. Live roots grow bigger; you don't want to build on a live root either. DB's idea of building around it somehow, if it is live, may be the better idea.

Borrego
# Posted: 15 May 2018 11:28

Yeah, I was gonna say don't build on a root! Building around sounds cool. Or cut the trees down, kill the roots and put your supports where you can....

cspot
# Posted: 15 May 2018 20:30

Quoting: NorthRick
Got an old chainsaw? Dig around the root as best you can to expose it and then cut it out with a chainsaw. Wear good protective equipment in case you hit a rock and the chain comes apart (usually just dulls it in about 0.000001 seconds).

Doesn't even need to be an old chainsaw. Just preferably on old chain. Funny thing is sometimes you hit a big rock and it doesn't do anything to the chain. Other times you hit a spec of sand and it seems like it goes instantly dull.

Something else I have used to cut roots is a reciprocating saw with a good wood blade in it. A little easier sometimes to get into tight spaces and not as likely to make crap go flying like a chainsaw.

Like mentioned above you definately don't want to build on the roots or stump. I would work on one of the other holes and let the guy holding the fake gun do some digging.

DaveBell
# Posted: 16 May 2018 16:24 - Edited by: DaveBell

Here is an option to keep it simple.
Go out 8' with three posts, short about 6' for one to be in only minor roots. Left and right ends avoid current bolts, using hangers. Middle uses hangers.
SE_DeckAdd.jpg
SE_DeckAdd.jpg

SE Ohio
# Posted: 16 May 2018 16:28

Thanks, all for the replies. I don't have an old chainsaw, but can borrow my neighbor's new Stihl

cspot
# Posted: 17 May 2018 16:56

Quoting: SE Ohio
Thanks, all for the replies. I don't have an old chainsaw, but can borrow my neighbor's new Stihl

I have a new Stihl chainsaw and have a camp in SE ohio. Hopefully I am not your neighbor.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.