Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Building addition to poorly constructed cabin.
<< . 1 . 2 .
Travis H
# Posted: 18 Jun 2018 17:15

ICC- Thanks for the span calc and tutorial. A lot of info. And that Slide Hammer Nail Puller? Never seen that before. Definitley adding it to my tools.

Borrego- I don't intend to sell for profit. If we ever leave the area, I'd probably sell as land contract like how I bought it.

Now I'm wondering where to put the new building to minimize moving electrical service and well service. I was originally just going to tie in from old building.

Thanks all.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Jun 2018 17:32

Quoting: Travis H
And that Slide Hammer Nail Puller? Never seen that before.

They are very old, as in my grandad used to own one of the two I have. Every farmer or rancher used to own one as back in the depression they saved and reused every nail they could. I think my first carpentry related task was straightening the nails Dad and Grandad pulled, then sorting them into sizes in re-used tin cans.

Travis H
# Posted: 18 Jun 2018 17:37

How old were you then? My five year old boy getting a little better with helping out.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Jun 2018 18:29

Not really sure anymore--- 6, 7 ?? --- Used a short piece of a 6x6 as an anvil and hammered the nails straight on the end grain. I still have the hammer too with the original handle. It has developed a small split so it just stays in the old toolbox now and looks old.

cspot
# Posted: 18 Jun 2018 18:48 - Edited by: cspot

Another thought that I am throwing out there. What about going 24' wide and staying on 1 floor? You can buy 4/12 pitch trusses premade at a reasonable price in most areas. Some places even will stock them.

We did 24'x30' this way. Main cabin is 24x24 and then there is a 6'x18' porch on back and a 6x6 bathroom. Approximate dimensions. If I remember correctly from the span tables we used double 2x12's for the beams and then 2x8's for the joists. Posts were on 6' spacing. 3 rows of posts.

35716224301_f352c38211_z by cspot12, on Flickr

rockies
# Posted: 18 Jun 2018 19:38 - Edited by: rockies

If you're looking for a 14 x 20 cabin addition (could be widened or lengthened) and budget is an issue you should look at the plans for this cabin.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/cozy-cabin-zmaz06jjzraw

Make sure to look at the cabin Assembly Diagram

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Jun 2018 14:42

If its a non permitted storage building, probably not be an issue.

But if its something to live in, yes, no bank will loan on it. I tried to get insurance for my cabin, no deal, just because it was not hooked up to power, no water or hydrant/fire station within a mile.

Travis H
# Posted: 20 Jun 2018 16:18

My original insurance company wouldn't insure the place because of the fire hydrant thing. Local insurance company would though.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.