Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood sizes and spans?
Princelake
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 07:51

I've been drawing up my own plans for my cabin and searching the net for different ideas. I came across this cottage here
https://www.drummondhouseplans.com/house-plan-detail/info/great-escape-cottages-chale ts-1001168.html
I actually really like this style and lay out. I live in northern Ontario and we get a ton of snow. What would I do to frame that roof? 2x10 16oc or 24oc? Can the 2x10 safely span the living room? I'd assume the center wall would be supporting. Or should I go with a parallel trusses or engineered I joists meant for floors? Also with that lay out should i change it around so the woodstove is in the center and not corner so it'll heat more evenly?

Nate R
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 08:41

Depends on your snow loads up there.
Douglas Fir 2x12s in Select Structural grade, on 16" centers would make a 20' wide building with no interior support wall and a 70 lb/sf snow load.

https://www.awc.org/codes-standards/calculators-software/spancalc

acamelo
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 13:19

Hi. I'm building a 20x24 cabin in central Maine. It will have a 10x20 porch on front. I'm using 18" concrete pads above grade for foundation. Everyo e claims the way to go in This area. The soil is stony but wet. I'm skeptical but will trust the locals. Any thoughts on using these pads and ideas on my beam construction. Thanks

Anthony

ICC
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 14:31

Ask the city/town or county building department what you can do. Some places have more strict regulations when it comes to foundations. Some people also build w/o a permit. Some jurisdictions make you tear down or fix the issues that do not meet code. Others are more lax or forgiving. Building on top of wet ground that freezes usually results in movement of the structure.

Princelake
# Posted: 17 Jul 2018 06:50

I don't think I'd build on top. I would try to get down past the frost line with soil like that. I'm build my cabin right on Canadian shield bed rock and don't think it'll ever go anywhere.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.