Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / how to fix rot in framing without roof collapsing
black_raven
# Posted: 22 Jul 2018 12:03

My new-ish to me cabin is around 30 years old.
i have discovered some rot in the framing under the front window and door. I suspect it might be in the supporting wood and also potentially into the floor joists!

How can i repair this without the roof collapsing?

Do I put i supporting jacks from the stronger parts of the floor to the roof?

I suspect i have to take out the plywood floor near the front where it is rotting and inspect...do i then twin the existing joists? would i need to jack up the cabin?

sorry for all the questions, but i haven't ever done anything on this scale before.
cabin
cabin

Wilbour
# Posted: 22 Jul 2018 13:15 - Edited by: Wilbour

I have seen a supporting wall erected from the floor to the joists that take the load off the affected wall.

You basically frame it like a load bearing interior wall about a few feet from the outside wall.

I personally would inspect the floor first to see if the floor joists are in good shape. The work my way up

Yes, it sounds like quite a task but the cabin looks like she's worth it!

DaveBell
# Posted: 22 Jul 2018 14:08

Wilbour +1

Yes, open up the plywood floor. You need to find the extent of the rot before deciding on a plan and temp wall(s). Post pictures of the extent of the rot. Is that a log cabin or framed walls with siding?

DaveBell
# Posted: 22 Jul 2018 14:11

Looking at the slope of the terrain, it appears that rain water may flow directly at the front door thus causing the rot. What kind of foundation does the cabin sit on?

rockies
# Posted: 22 Jul 2018 18:19

Is the rot under the window in the sill or at the bottom of the wall?

I suspect the cause of the rot under the door is caused by "splashback". The water pouring off the roof is splashing down onto your front ramp and wetting the door. With such a steep roof pitch you should install a larger than average gutter and downpipe and run the water well away from the cabin.

Borrego
# Posted: 22 Jul 2018 19:32

Quoting: rockies
With such a steep roof pitch you should install a larger than average gutter and downpipe and run the water well away from the cabin.

^^^^
Quoting: DaveBell
What kind of foundation does the cabin sit on?

^^^^

Also, do you have a regular flat ceiling inside or open cathedral style? Lot harder to build a temp support wall for a steep pitch slope like that....you have to brace it off or your roof willl fall in....

black_raven
# Posted: 23 Jul 2018 16:07

Thanks for the ideas

Yes I have put a French drain in front of the front with around 2 ft of gravel. I suspect before that the drainage was causing it and also the splashback as before there was an asphalt roof and not metal.

Inside is cathedral so yes this will be hard to hold up

I won’t be back for a couple weeks so I can’t get pics

I guess I’ll open up the plywood and look ... I’m almost afraid to do it

black_raven
# Posted: 23 Jul 2018 16:08

Oh and it’s is framed walls inside

black_raven
# Posted: 23 Jul 2018 17:42

And sitting on piers .

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.