Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Removing silt/mud from a pond — looking for ideas
justins7
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 14:22

I am looking for recommendations for removing silt/mud please.

I have a large spring-fed pond that is first filled from a slit-pond. It's uphill, so the water flows from the mountains. The silt pond is starting to really fill up with silt/mud. It's alarming because I obviously don't want the pond to get filled up as well.

The silt pond is about 15' diameter and about 10-15' deep. The PVC pipe feeding the pond is about 1 foot down — but the silt pile is rapidly reaching this height.

I tried using a shovel to remove some but it is back-breaking and awkward and I mostly got muddy water, barely making a dent.

I know I could get someone with a backhoe, but I am wondering if anyone can recommend a pump, or other technique. Any ideas / stories are appreciated!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 15:14

Large pump of the centrifugal type, think of Chinese building islands on reefs, ie a Spratley islands, mischief reef etc Only you will be taking silt and blowing it out of the area. Once in a large pile, you can use a loader to move it where it wont end up back in the pond.

Just
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 18:53

I used a backhoe because I had no were to pump to the mud except a township drain and they would expect me to clean the ditch . We built a nice burm with the mud and seeded it with grass to hold the soil .It will need cleaning again in a few years .
I believe a pump would work if you have a place to pump it to..

Just
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 19:01

my pond
pond
pond

justins7
# Posted: 9 Oct 2018 11:30

Just: What kind of pump would you recommend?

I have plenty of space to dump silt and mud onto, but the pumps I've seen online seem more like water pumps. Would a trash pump be able to handle dense silt?

Just
# Posted: 9 Oct 2018 14:08

A 3 in. Ditch pump . Honda is the best but any should work .try to take as much water as you can with the mud

Cowracer
# Posted: 9 Oct 2018 14:58 - Edited by: Cowracer

If you got the $$$, use two pumps. Use a smaller one at high pressure as a water jet to slurry the mud and get it moving, use the other at high-flow low pressure to pump it to wherever.

This is how we mine sand. We use a high-pressure monitor to wash the sand down to a pit, and then big lower pressure pump to transport the slurry to the drying plant.

video of Hydraulic mining

Use a 1-1/2" fire hose and preferably a 5/8" smooth bore nozzle (about as much as a man can hold by hand) and blast the mud in the pond to stir it up and get it slurried.

Bear in mind that you are going to lose a lot of water doing this, unless you have a way to de-water the slurry.

Tim

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.