Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Flooring for Wall Paneling?
paulz
# Posted: 26 Nov 2018 23:16 - Edited by: paulz

A friend's daughter got married, bought a house and wanted the brand new flooring taken out. I think the realtors and buyers were the only ones who walked on it. So I came to the rescue.

First floor was this dark stuff, was sitting on the slab, no nails, no glue, just lifted it up. I'm not sure it's even wood, maybe some composite, but it's incredibly heavy and harder than rock. I have about 800sf, mostly 6 footers. The tongue and groove are complex, L shaped and lock into a corresponding groove in the adjacent board. Maybe it's not even supposed to be nailed?

Second floor was the lighter stuff, it's wood but also very dense. Had nails in the tongues only. Got about 500sf. Both are about 1/2" thick.

My cabin interior is still studs and insulation. So I'm wondering, would it be OK to use for wall paneling? The cons are it's heavy, and the dark stuff wouldn't brighten up the cabin any. The pros are I already have it and it's stacked up in the cabin loft right now.
1126180750_resized.j.jpg
1126180750_resized.j.jpg
1126180849_resized.j.jpg
1126180849_resized.j.jpg

darz5150
# Posted: 26 Nov 2018 23:49

I used some flooring on the wall in the kitchen.
1126182234.jpg
1126182234.jpg

kittysmitty
# Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:41 - Edited by: kittysmitty

I had though about doing the same thing. Not the real solid hardwood but, laminate, engineered hardwood,click flooring or what ever it's called. Your right about the dark stuff, hopefully you have lot's of windows.
Lot's available used, as folks renovate. Let us know how you make out.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Nov 2018 08:23

The stuff I have in my cabin was a removal from a flooring buddy who did a water leak repair, the lady wanted all new lighter stuff. Its supposed to just float, some on an underlayment pad, some use no pad. It just clicks in place. If you ever have a leak, its so much easier to remove and make repairs and if your cabin sets over winter unheated, it stays put.

paulz
# Posted: 27 Nov 2018 09:48 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks guys. Darz that looks great. Ok so this dark stuff is not designed to be nailed in? Too me it would looks less like flooring on the walls than the lighter stuff which I think is narrower. Wonder how I'd keep it on the walls? I'm thinking I would go horizontal with it since it's shorter than the walls. Other thing is hanging pictures, shelf racks etc. Guess I will test putting nails through it and see what happens.

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Nov 2018 10:02

Quoting: paulz
Guess I will test putting nails through it and see what happens.

Yeah, do that first, if its got a high plastic content it will tend to shatter......
Don't see why you couldn't do it though.....

NorthRick
# Posted: 27 Nov 2018 15:35

The first stuff sounds like a click together floating floor. I don't think it would be a problem to click it together and face nail it to the wall studs. I wouldn't want walls that dark though.

paulz
# Posted: 27 Nov 2018 17:56

Guess I'm the last guy to know about click together floating flooring. Maybe I'll do the first 4 feet of the walls with it, and the rest with the lighter stuff. Won't get back to the cabin to drive a nail into it until this weekend, wish I had brought a piece home. Feels super hard and brittle. And heavy as lead.

You'll laugh at this, or puke. My current flooring is 2'x4' particle board laminate, also free, formerly shelving at a retail store (yes, I'm a scrounger). It's an inch thick. I'm surprised to say that after a year of hard use it still looks new, and not all that funky. The dark click together stuff would be more appropriate, and I have enough to do the floor, walls probably half the driveway. I hate do-overs though..
0713161014.jpg
0713161014.jpg

MarthaDalton
# Posted: 4 May 2019 02:17

Well, I had also used hardwood flooring for wall paneling which had provided a beautiful texture and finishes. If you want, you can use hardwood wallpaper or other textured materials to decorate it. View online and check out some Vinyl coated type consists of different wood designs which are laminated into plywood.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 4 May 2019 16:04 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Quoting: paulz
The dark click together stuff would be more appropriate, and I have enough to do the floor, walls probably half the driveway. I hate do-overs though..

A hardwood driveway!!!

Now that would be high-end!

Hmmm. I wonder how that vinyl plank flooring (Allure etc) would hold up outside on docks and walkways.

Vinyl plank shed siding maybe ????

Maybe I’ll have to keep an eye out for some scraps to dress up the insides of some sheds. Cover up a plywood floor with a nice stylish flooring.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 4 May 2019 19:02

If it doesn't nail well (shatters), you can always pre-drill the holes. I used click together cork flooring in my cabin and it looks good as well as having some give to it.

Cowracer
# Posted: 6 May 2019 09:00

A buddy at our lake used reclaimed flooring on an 'accent' wall on his house. But he installed it backwards, with the 'finished' side facing the wall. It looks really amazing. I'll have to get some pics. I nearly laughed at him when he told me his plan. I have to admit that it turned out very well.

Tim

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.