Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / New property owners- small cabin ideas
Laughlin
# Posted: 2 Jan 2019 20:16

Last year my family purchased some property. We consider it for hunting and recreational purposes. We currently are staying in an old camper that was left there by previous owner. We are in Indiana. The inspector for the county our property is in told me 200 sq ft or under of living space does not require a permit. So we are considering trying stay under that 200 rule. My question is do lofts count toward sq ft? We want to have a barn metal roof and exterior especially due to maintenance. Last year we had electricity and city water ran to what will eventually be the “camping” area. We plan to build this ourselves and are familiar with building stuff. We do like the idea of building up on piers especially due to the fact a concrete slab in this location is not feasible. The pic I’m posting is an option we are considering. But with some changes.
243D1E4617974C819.jpeg
243D1E4617974C819.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 2 Jan 2019 20:24

Your county might consider the foot print as the square footage.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Jan 2019 21:40 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Ah, the Kenora from townandcountryplans.com

Most places require a permit if its going to be lived in, while a storage shed can go with no permit if its 200 sq feet or smaller. But you cant have a permanent, foundation. But some counties may be relaxed. Double check on that.

Loft will count if you can stand up in it. Make it low to crawl or walk hunched over. Or put a cover over the hole and call it an attic and button it up after final inspection.

darz5150
# Posted: 2 Jan 2019 21:58

If you do a 12 x 16 main cabin like the one you have pictured. Then extend the loft another 8 feet. That would give you a covered porch/deck of use able space. Your foot print would be 192 sq/ft plus another 96 sq/ft of loft space.

razmichael
# Posted: 3 Jan 2019 07:23

No idea how it applies in your area but you might want to determine what having a permit actually means (and costs). Where we built (in Canada but different everywhere) a permit required a set of simple drawings showing standard building techniques, lot lines with distances to footprint, $40 and one inspection to make sure we had not built too close to the water front. This was classified as a part time recreational building so that helped.

Laughlin
# Posted: 4 Jan 2019 11:18

Thanks so far for replies. We do not plan on living in it. Just more of a place to stay out of weather during rainy cold. The camper on property serves its purpose but that’s about it. Lol.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.