Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Frosty Pella windows problems
Northern Grits
# Posted: 9 Feb 2019 10:13

Brand new Pella windows (10 total for entire cabin) installed over a few different days during fall 2018. Wisconsin cabin has two adults/2 young teenagers living full time and is approx 20 yr old log that we "re-caulked" as we did the windows so little to zero air coming in through the walls. Typical A frame cabin 500 sq ft bottom with two small lofts which totals about 800 sq ft for entire cabin.

Problems started when first got chilly in Nov 2018 as discovered one window was completely missing the weatherstripping. Explored other windows and to me felt as if the glazing where glass met the wood frame was leaking cold air. Sure enough every morning this winter there has been a significant amount of moisture built up around the bottom of each pane of glass that will soon destroy the wood frame. Have called Pella rep and they are going to send someone out but have had two different people indicate we need a de-humidifier. We have a ceiling fan blowing 24/7 in the winter clockwise direction to push the heat down. I just don't feel that we are generating that much moisture with cooking/showers (fan)/breathing to cause this moisture build up. I think the windows were not constructed properly.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Nate R
# Posted: 9 Feb 2019 10:26

I think you need more data to determine if the humidity is a real problem or not: What kind of humidity levels are you seeing inside?

ICC
# Posted: 9 Feb 2019 10:35

Get a good humidity meter and go from there. I believe this is one reason why new construction in Canada requires a heat recovery ventilation unit.

razmichael
# Posted: 9 Feb 2019 13:10

Quoting: Northern Grits
I just don't feel that we are generating that much moisture with cooking/showers (fan)/breathing to cause this moisture build up

Not saying there are no window issues but don't underestimate the amount of moisture a family of four produces - even when not considering cooking, washing etc. Some good info here: MoistureinHomes

Northern Grits
# Posted: 10 Feb 2019 17:04

Thanks for replies. I pulled out my cigar hygrometer and will check the % in the cabin. Also occurred to me that we have never been shocked when touching metal or each other this winter so maybe we do have too much humidity.

FishHog
# Posted: 10 Feb 2019 17:37

My new windows in my home will do the same especially if I close the blinds and that is with just 2 of us.

if your feeling a draft, that might be a window issue, but condensation I don't believe is a window issue, its a humidity and outdoor temp issue. Air flow (fans) help, along with lowering the humidity

slgerber
# Posted: 10 Feb 2019 22:16

Condensation or even ice on the inside of windows occurs because the interior surface of the glass is very cold. One way to solve this problem is to heat rooms to a higher temperature so that the interior glass window surfaces stay warmer. But this can be difficult and/or expensive if outside temperatures plummet to extremely frigid lows. Often during extreme temperature plunges people will hang heavy curtains or blankets over windows in an effort to keep the heat inside a building. Unfortunately this makes condensation and icing of windows even worse because it blocks heat from the interior surface of the windows making them colder. One solution that I have used on some of my windows is to cover them on the outside with temporary foamcore insulated panels during the coldest weather. I have found that this is very effective at both keeping rooms warmer and eliminating condensation. I also experimented with interior insulated panels but I quickly discovered that this makes interior icing much worse by blocking heat and thus helping the interior glass surface to reach subfreezing temperatures even faster.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.