Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Cabin location rules
Laughlin
# Posted: 21 Feb 2019 17:03

How can someone go about finding out if can build a small cabin on property but avoid taxes and building permits. I’ve heard the county my property is in has a 200sq ft rule that applies as long as not lived in permanently. But I would like to make sure before constructing something. Really don’t want to call the building inspector and ask cause he might decide to drop by for a visit. Lol. Just trying stay under having a permit and not pay outrageous tax on a weekend getaway cabin / hunting cabin.

frankpaige
# Posted: 21 Feb 2019 17:32

Go to the locales website. They are not there to trick you. Ask for building requirements.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 21 Feb 2019 17:38 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Yikes.
IDK how to answer the question about flying under the radar.
Doing that in our area would deprive our family and friends from tax dollars to help keep the hall up and running plus garbage collection and the side roads drivable.

You could build underground so that when they fly over your home away from home you won’t get caught.

ICC
# Posted: 21 Feb 2019 17:48 - Edited by: ICC

Research online. And check what the 200 sq ft rule you have heard about actually means. Where I am we do not need a permit or approval to build a shed or playhouse that is under 200 sq ft, BUT that is only applicable when there is a larger, permitted and approved residence on the lot already. In fact, legally, you cannot build the under 200 sq ft building until the larger one is done and the certificate of occupancy is issued.

And I do agree with silverwaterlady. You will be deriving benefits from whatever local services the property tax dollars provide, without contributing. Even if there is nothing else the road is worth something.

Laughlin
# Posted: 21 Feb 2019 18:05

Oh no I’m sorry. I dont mean to permanently go under the radar for tax purposes. We just got this property about 1.5 years ago. There is a old camper on it already but it is not worth fixing up. We just need something to stay in soon so we can start on our bigger cabin. Use the smaller one for grandkids or late nite drunk ppl. Lol

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.