Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ordering cabin
Dhunter
# Posted: 7 Mar 2019 18:48

Planning on ordering a 10 by 16 cabin tomorrow, I have an option of getting it stained or urethane. It’s the same price. What’s better and would last longer?

Nobadays
# Posted: 7 Mar 2019 19:07

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.... but my understanding is you can put a urethane -clear top coat - over stain but you would not be able th o stain the logs - add color- once the urethane is applied.

Our cabin has been stained then according to the PO he has put a clear top coat on about every 6-8 years. He has always used Cascade top coat which is the gold standard for log home coatings.

My original log home that I built from scratch, I used light oil about every 2-3 years. This let the logs age to get that really golden to reddish brown look...with a little gray in there as well.

Cheers! Enjoy your new home!

rockies
# Posted: 7 Mar 2019 19:14 - Edited by: rockies

According to studies done on decking material a semi transparent stain is the best type to apply. A clear stain usually contains no pigments or oils, is not very durable and needs to be reapplied every year. A solid stain is more like a paint and does not seep into the wood so it tends to chip or peel after a while.

Dhunter
# Posted: 7 Mar 2019 20:01

Also, I will add that it is T11 siding. It is not log style.

darz5150
# Posted: 7 Mar 2019 20:38

I would get it stained then use a weather proofer like homer formby after you get it. You can apply it with a bug sprayer from the dollar store.

monkeydeck
# Posted: 7 Mar 2019 23:40

Dhunter our buildings come stained t1-11, or painted or urethane LP smartside for the same price, your looking at $3045 plus options and tax, i like the urethane, holds up great, my only issue is its difficult to touch up, the paint holds up pretty well also on the smartside,its a very durable product

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.