# Posted: 16 Mar 2019 20:04

From a builder in Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZjUK4to88

Peresperess82
# Posted: 9 May 2019 03:21

cool

sparky30_06
# Posted: 9 May 2019 06:57

It's sad what we have to do in South & West Texas to secure and protect our possessions and property from illegals flooding over the boarder. They will break in and ransack vehicles and building quick.

Princelake
# Posted: 9 May 2019 07:01

Shipping containers have gone way up in price in the last couple years. My father works for the local company that sells and moves them. He just quoted me a "deal" at $4200can for a used one shipped 40km. About 3 years ago I was looking at around $2500.

Brettny
# Posted: 9 May 2019 08:59

By the time you get a roof over them and modify the doors/windows your prety darn close to a stick built building...and it will always look like a shipping container.

Steve961
# Posted: 9 May 2019 17:06

Quoting: Brettny
By the time you get a roof over them and modify the doors/windows your prety darn close to a stick built building...and it will always look like a shipping container.

I like my container hunting cabin, and I don't think it looks too bad when the doors are open. The cost is MUCH higher than frame construction though. I figure it cost me about 50% more to build my cabin with containers, and doing it the right way.
ContainerCabin.jpg
ContainerCabin.jpg

pakarinen
# Posted: 5 Aug 2021 08:54

Anybody use the unmodified roof of their container as a deck?

I've read that the roofs are relatively thin / weak and you need to put crossmembers on top of the container to support any weight - basically build a wooden deck on top. No idea how accurate that is though. Thanks!

WILL1E
# Posted: 5 Aug 2021 08:57

Quoting: pakarinen

Pretty sure a guy here on the forum did this. I think his place is kinda on a hill and therefor his container roof basically sits at ground level for the cabin. If i find the picture or his name i'll link it here.

mj1angier
# Posted: 5 Aug 2021 21:23

I am a 300 lb guy and if I were to jump up and down on mine, pretty sure it will dent big time.

But I think if you built a deck the spread the weight around to the 4 corners, you would be fine for 3-4 folks to get on it

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Aug 2021 22:39

Quoting: pakarinen

Wont work, you need to just build a deck/floor over it. Its flimsy, the strength is a container is the corners. The sides are corrugated to keep them rigid, the roof have some ribbing, but you cant walk on it for a decking, will oil can on you.

Curly
# Posted: 5 Aug 2021 22:44

The corners of containers must be very strong. The ships that transport containers across the ocean stack containers 10 high or more. You might need to make sure the corners are well supported at their bases.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.