Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 1/2 inch styro thermal break on floor
Trail Boss
# Posted: 12 May 2019 17:53

Hello all, I have my cabin dried in as of last fall. As the photo shows, my floor is 1x6 which by now will have shrunk up a bit and has small spaces between the boards. This was expected and planned for. A friend that helped me build this suggested putting down a layer of 1/2 inch styro on top on my 1x6 floor then cover that with 1/2 inch osb which I will varathane over. I was thinking I should put vapor barrier either on the 1x6 first or put styro down then vapor barrier then osb. I may insulate the between the joists later on depending on how much time I find myself there in winter. Priority right now next weekend is osb and varathane floor.......thoughts ?
Floor
Floor
20181004_125752.jpg
20181004_125752.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 13 May 2019 09:06

Nice looking place.
I put 1" polyiso on my floor as a thermal break. Then put laminate overtop. Works great actually. Surprised me. If I close in my crawlspace (with snow piled up) and a few rugs, the floor remains quite warm. Even to -30.

But when I did it again I put XPS rated for higher pressure. I used 4" of XPS. Got a much warmer floor needless to say.

Peewee86
# Posted: 14 May 2019 00:06

There really is no negative to extra insulation on the floor as long as you have enough clearance under your doors and you don’t have ceiling height issues. I’m going to start framing my place shortly. I plan to hold all of my doors up 1.5” For the purpose of adding floor insulation. I plan to use Amdry or a similar product. As Creeky mentioned different products have different ratings for compression strength. Make sure you use something that is suitable for flooring applications.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.