Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Sealing a Butcher Block counter top
darz5150
# Posted: 7 Jul 2019 01:18

Getting ready to redo a butcher block counter top on a roller cabinet.. Any suggestions on sealing it?
Some say poly some say mineral oil. I have a solid wood cutting board that strattles the sink that I made about 15 years ago. Never sealed it with anything but raw meat and produce.🐓🐂🐷. It has never got mold or any stains on it. We just wash it, and occasionally bleach it.
So am I better off leaving it raw wood or sealing it?

old243
# Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:34

I worked in a meat cutting room, with wood cutting blocks. They were scraped every night , with a heavy block brush, then washed with water and javex. If you have been cutting meat and fish , bleach should be in order. There was no sealing on these tables, just raw wood. Probably today they use plastic tops. old243

ICC
# Posted: 7 Jul 2019 09:17 - Edited by: ICC

is the new counter top to be used as an actual cutting surface or is it to just look pretty? Pretty tops need to have a cosmetic finish like poly, IMO. Work surfaces should be left natural and cleaned and disinfected according to present day health recommendations. Maybe oiled with some food safe product. I don't have any wood boards that I use daily anymore but I do have some alder wood countertops for their appearance value.

mj1angier
# Posted: 7 Jul 2019 09:19

This is what I have been using on our cutting blocks, wood bowls and servers for the past 4-5 years. Works good so far:
https://sabbathdaywoods.com/collections/boards/products/the-finest-all-natural-beesoi l

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 7 Jul 2019 10:44

Hello, on butcher blocks use a natural oil , walnut oil is common. You would not want a poly on there .

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 7 Jul 2019 11:26

I use mineral oil on mine. I use a plastic cutting board when I cut meat, but for everything else I chop right on the butcher block. Every once in awhile I wipe it down with some bleach water (we use lake water treated with a little bleach to wash dishes so it's handy.)

darz5150
# Posted: 7 Jul 2019 14:36

Thanks everyone. I think I will use the mineral oil.👍

hueyjazz
# Posted: 8 Jul 2019 11:39

I have antique butcher block table from restaurant. Have only used alkaline cleaner to remove grease and mineral oil on it. It's the showpiece of the kitchen. It looks beautiful after treatment.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 8 Jul 2019 15:13

I've made cutting boards up that I used a wood butter on. I forget the exact recipe but you can Google it. Essentially its beeswax that's melted and added to mineral oil then allowed to cool to thicken. You just rub it on with a cloth, let soak then wide off the excess. I keep a jar handy for redoing the cutting boards. The consistency is like vaseline.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.