Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Fence Ideas
Rooker23
# Posted: 26 Jul 2019 19:54

I'd like to put a nice looking fence around the yard of my cabin. Very small yard and it kind of sits on a drop-off and I have a 5 year old running around. Maybe a low picket but I'm pretty ignorant about nice looking fences. Would love to see pics of others that have fences or any ideas. I've learned a ton from this site, its a tremendous resource. Here's a picture of the yard from the porch.
Yard
Yard

DaveBell
# Posted: 27 Jul 2019 12:53

I would not spoil the view with a picket. I would go with a 2-rail, split rail fence.

ICC
# Posted: 27 Jul 2019 13:21 - Edited by: ICC

You have a 5 year old and a drop off. Maybe more kids to come? I think you need something that first and foremost will keep the kid(s) safe from danger. Chain-link? Kids safety comes before view; after kids are grown maybe then change to something more scenic friendly.

hattie
# Posted: 27 Jul 2019 14:30

My husband came up with a brilliant and inexpensive fence for our place. It marks the boundary of the property without blocking the view.

He purchased landscape rails which are round poles with a flat top and bottom. They are about 4" in diameter and 8' long. He drilled 5/8" holes through (flat to flat) 8" from each end. For the top and bottom rails, he only drilled through half way. Four rails are in each section. The rails are stacked up in a zig zag (snake rail fence style). A piece of half inch steel rebar the length of 7 rails is placed in the holes as a hinge pin. Our fence ended up 27" high. One foot square concrete blocks (2" thick) are spaced 6' apart along the property line with every other block off-set 3' to create the zig zag.

The good thing about this fence is if you need to move it, you just hinge it back. If you need to remove it, you can just lift off the wood. There are no nails holding it together. The rebar keeps the rails aligned and in place but you don't see them.
An old photo of our place showing the fence.
An old photo of our place showing the fence.

Rooker23
# Posted: 27 Jul 2019 22:39

I really like that Hattie! Looks good and should be good on safety. Might have to steal that from y’all!

hattie
# Posted: 28 Jul 2019 00:52

I'm glad you like it Rooker23. My husband and I built it ourselves and it went up pretty fast. We've had it for over 10 years now and it is still in great shape.

manny
# Posted: 28 Jul 2019 15:19

thats a real neat fence hattie.I never seen anything like it.

MikeOnBear
# Posted: 29 Jul 2019 11:33

I agree that hattie's fence looks great, but I'm not sure about the safety aspect for youngsters. A 5 year old could climb that and topple over pretty easily.

I had one that just started to learn to walk. Found him on the kitchen counter. Wife watched him one day. He was pulling out the drawers to climb to the top.

Jebediah
# Posted: 29 Jul 2019 11:48 - Edited by: Jebediah

Hog wire fences seem to be all the rage....lots on You tube....no idea of cost....Hattie's fence(Split Rail) was very popular in Canada, Ottawa valley area...constructed from cedar.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 29 Jul 2019 12:33

I find when I'm struggling for ideas that a Google Image Search is really helpful. As an example here is an image search for "rustic fence ideas". Lots of interesting options. I find and image search very helpful when I'm searching for a product, part, etc.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.