Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Got the windows in
mj1angier
# Posted: 2 Aug 2019 08:57 - Edited by: mj1angier

I got our windows installed in the She-shed this week. First one took about 2 hours. After that the other 3 took about 1 hour each. First time I ever did windows but I think it went good, well, for a shed shack any way lol. Stopped off and did a little bourbon trading with a friend and picked up the AR pistol he was building for me.
The bourbon was very welcome by my back at the end of the day, lol
window_1.jpg
window_1.jpg
window_2.jpg
window_2.jpg
window_3.jpg
window_3.jpg
ar_pistol.jpg
ar_pistol.jpg

manny
# Posted: 2 Aug 2019 10:55

sweet lord . Dont use them for target practice yet,

Steve_S
# Posted: 2 Aug 2019 12:29

Windows are a Watershed Moment in a build, much like when the roof is first closed in. Sure feels good don't it ?

mj1angier
# Posted: 2 Aug 2019 15:24

Quoting: Steve_S
Sure feels good don't it ?

I will let you know when I quit hurting, lol

Quoting: manny
sweet lord . Dont use them for target practice yet

LOL We did some shooting the next day but not at the bottles!

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Aug 2019 12:36

You just flashed them with that flashing tape then covered it with trim?

ICC
# Posted: 3 Aug 2019 16:45 - Edited by: ICC

Windows, and doors, should flashed to the structural sheathing, then the finish siding, or what I call the cosmetic siding applied over that with the appropriate trim.

A real home has two layers of exterior wall, first the structural and then the finish which can be anything from stucco through various materials for siding to look pretty. The windows and doors are installed between those two. Too late now, but maybe useful to a future builder.

If one is not building with the two layer method then there is not too much you can do, though it still would be better to flash the rough ppeni g as shown in this ljnk.....
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2008/07/03/installing-and-flashing-windows-correctly

mj1angier
# Posted: 3 Aug 2019 17:58

It is caulked and flashed taped. The wall was already finished and I just cut the hole in it and framed out opening.Then flashed opening. Applied caulk. Windows are full vinyl with mounting flange made to outside edge.Screwed into place and flashed over screws and flange. Inside is spay foamed.

Is this how I would want a home built? No, but for a camping shed it will do fine.

ICC
# Posted: 3 Aug 2019 19:36

Don't know the details of what you did, but if you do another similar in the future, or someone is reading this, "think like a drop of water". Water sometimes gets behind all the protection. We want to lead any water towards the outside as it runs downward. So we never caulk/seal the bottom of a window; leave a way out for the water. Install the flashing bottom first then up the sides and lastly the top. That way the overlaps direct the water out. I use shim stock or bevel cut pieces of siding to make a bottom sill that slopes out, so water exits and doesn't get trapped or run inside. All that and more is in the FH article.

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Aug 2019 06:21

I can see gaps behind the flashing tape where the siding overlaps. Thats a place for water and animals to enter.

What type of siding is that? Wood? vinyl?

mj1angier
# Posted: 5 Aug 2019 09:37

Quoting: Brettny
I can see gaps behind the flashing tape where the siding overlaps. Thats a place for water and animals to enter.

What type of siding is that? Wood? vinyl?

The window flange is in a bed of caulk that fills in the low spots in the siding, then the flashing tape is over the top of screws and 3" of siding. I was a little concerned about the gaps in siding and tape so I back caulked those spots. The trim does nothing for water proofing, it just hides all the other stuff.

Walls are two layers- outside is a dutch lap look sheet siding. Next layer is Techsheild OSB with radiant foil.

mj1angier
# Posted: 5 Aug 2019 09:44

This is the kind of flange the window has. Bed of caulk behind the fin to the siding then tape over top of it.
wndo.jpg
wndo.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Aug 2019 07:32

Yes thats a new conctruction window. The nailing flange is nailed to the sheething then the siding is suposto go in the built in J channel.

All the ammount of cawlk in the world will not keep a window from leaking. I have seen it and repaired it.

mj1angier
# Posted: 7 Aug 2019 19:49

Well, It's going to have to do the best it can, lol. There was no way I was going to pull off all the first layer of siding to get to the sheeting.

But if it last for 5 years till I get a house built there, that will be good enough

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.