Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Moisture Control Help
hconsidine
# Posted: 5 Aug 2019 15:33

New here and I know there have been a lot of discussions but it is hard to navigate. We have a cabin that is on on posts with dirt underneath. The dirt underneath is on a hill. We have lattice around the outside so it is "vented". We have found that our bedroom which is closest to the dirt is damp. I think putting down plastic on the dirt would be problematic. Will putting up rigid foam help with cutting down the moisture? Any other ideas?

ICC
# Posted: 5 Aug 2019 18:56

Putting foam where?

DaveBell
# Posted: 5 Aug 2019 20:02

So the floor of your cabin in Maryland is not insulated and you don't use it in the winter?

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Aug 2019 07:21

You should look at how water is getting under the cabin first. Can you grade away from the foundation? Do you have gutters that dump close to that area?

Sealing up the scrutue for water/moisture should be the last thing. Keeping water from getting there should be done first.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 6 Aug 2019 23:10 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I’d agree that redirecting any sources of water would be a first priority. I’d also wonder if there isn’t a structural problem with a different cause.

If it’s rain/runoff then maybe terrace up the hill or dig in a vertical barrier up hill from the cabin.

Putting plastic down under the cabin shouldn’t be all that hard in most circumstances.

Eg Large tarps are cheap and ropes and/or poles could be used to get one into place then stake it, lay a bit of gravel or rebar on top of it to hold it in place. See if this solves the problem and if so, look for a better permanent solution.

Even narrow strips of plastic would minimize moisture rising out of the ground if that’s the problem.

Maybe prevailing winds could be directed via some baffles to accelerate the air moving under the bedroom.

Is the bedroom downwind of the prevailing wind direction? If so, moisture in the wind may be getting funnelled through to the outside at the tight clearance point.

Maybe the lattice is too tight a design to let enough air flow past the bedroom location.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.