Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Idea for shower
Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 20:48

After I purchased my land I decided I would camp out on it occasionally. I bought myself a shower tent and one of these solar camp showers. I was impressed with the heating capability of the shower, but the hook in the shower tent to hang the thing puts the shower head at my belly button, which is not super helpful when showering.

I was thinking I could build myself a system that utilized a pump sprayer like the ones they use for gardening to actually make a shower that sprayed water on you from above. I just need a sprayer that holds 5 gallons so that I can use my solar shower bag to heat the water, then pour it in the sprayer and use at will.

In the future I plan to build myself a shower room on my cabin and collect rainwater for showering and other water needs except drinking. I might be able to heat the water on the stove and pour the water in the pump sprayer. My biggest question would be the valve that released the water to the shower head. I'm envisioning something like you see in the movies where they have a string hanging down that opens up the valve but then automatically closes when not being pulled anymore.

Has anyone else tried this kind of system out before and if so I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your setup. Comments and questions are welcome. ÷)

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 22:20

i have a outdoor shower set up at my old deer camp/cabin//////////

built a wooden platform, with 3 sides, with metal siding.....
nothing fancy.....
hook up the hose pipe, to a shower head type end, and have nice cold well water shower in the days of bow season when it's a 100 deg, it feels good........ and you don't wanty to use the regular shower in cabin.
when i camp out in my popup camper, i have a LLbean solar shower, just heat up a pan of water on my coleman stove, pour water into solar shower and nice warm shower............and it green( save the world) if you use a green coleman stove:-)

Rob_O
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 22:27

Hang a pulley from a tree branch, and use a rope to lift the solar shower up where you want it?

neb
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 22:48

When we go elk hunting we had a electric fuel pump from an old car. We put a hose on it put it in the bucket of water that was warm from the pot belly stove. At the end just put a shower head and attach leads to a battery and it makes for a great shower. We would have 5 guys for 6 days taking showers and never had a problem running out of battery.

Kithera
# Posted: 15 Jun 2011 14:43

I double vote for Rob_O's suggestion. You don't need to use the hook in the tent do you?

rayyy
# Posted: 15 Jun 2011 19:37

I bought a cheap little 12 volt bilge sump pump for a boat from gander mountain.$15.or $20 bucks.Hooked a longer rubber hose and a shower wand to it.Dropped it into a bucket of warmed up water,(whether by sun or the stove)hooked it up to a switch mounted up high in the shower area,and a 12 volt battery(ofcorse)reach up flip the switch on,get wet,shut it off,lather up,turn on,rinse off,done! 3 or 4 gallons of water.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 15 Jun 2011 19:50

JohnG: Thanks, that looks a lot like what I was referring to.

Rob_o's theory forgets that there is a roof in the shower tent.

This is the one that I have:
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000023694611P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports &cName=Camping&Hiking&sName=Tents&sid=KDx20070926x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=99900 00023694611P

Neb & Rayyy: That's an idea too, but I was thinking of something that could be used anywhere, anytime without the need for electricity.

TomChum
# Posted: 16 Jun 2011 22:52

Quoting: Kithera
I double vote for Rob_O's suggestion. You don't need to use the hook in the tent do you?

Triple-vote for Rob_O's, and can you locate the shower a little hidden such that you don't need a tent?

TomChum
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 20:48 - Edited by: TomChum

I posted a pic of my current shower setup in MikeOnBike's "Share your Shower Pics"
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/1_860_0.html#msg14308

Rob_O
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 22:09

Quoting: Bzzzzzt
In the future I plan to build myself a shower room on my cabin and collect rainwater for showering

Quoting: Bzzzzzt
Rob_o's theory forgets that there is a roof in the shower tent.

Cut a hole in the roof! The tent is a temporary solution, make it work with the shower bag.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 10 Oct 2011 00:21 - Edited by: Bzzzzzt

I ended up purchasing one of these.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zodi-Instant-Water-Heater-and-Hot-Shower/4698021
Let me just say, it is one of the best things I have bought. Not super happy with the battery operated pump though. I replaced it with a 120V pond pump and run it with my generator (pluged into a GFCI outlet, of course.)

We bought a 8" deep plastic tub that is 3' x 2' (as a basin to stand in) and fill it with water and use the shower water heater to get the water warm. Then we recycle the water through the pump and let it heat the water some more and you can take an endless hot shower on a limited amount of water. Nasty water you ask? After you're finished actually washing we have a second bucket of clean water that you move the pump into that lets you rinse off. Clean as a whistle in minutes!

beachman
# Posted: 17 Oct 2011 18:24

We have a Zodi water hater with a battery pack to pump the water with an outdoor shower set up. We use a cooler to hold the water and the two Colman propane tanks can be adjusted to heat the water just fine. It takes a bit of "getting ready" but does work fine. Now spoiled, in our new camp we have provided for a propane water heater hooked into a 12 v. pump and accumulator tank. The water will come from an overhead 35 gal tank over the bathroom to the shower stall. We will install next spring and let you know how it works.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 10 Jan 2019 23:34

On Pinterest briefly saw a DIY shower made by stacking two IBC water containers (those white plastic cubes in steel cages). A door was cut into one side.

Looked like the plastic seam was capped with strips of wood.

justins7
# Posted: 14 Jan 2019 17:28

In winter, when we have to shut off our water system, I use a USB-rechargeable shower, along with a five-gallon bucket of water (heated with an electric bucket heater). It's got to be one of the best things I've gotten for the cabin!

It's an Ivation USB shower:

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Portable-Outdoor-Battery-Powered/dp/B00IFHFJXI?ref_=Oc t_BSellerC_3401561_1&pf_rd_p=2902fad9-09e5-511e-a8fe-adb34fe3c5ec&pf_rd_s=merchandise d-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=3401561&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=TF3G2AMFJW7GQ7PN C81Q&pf_rd_r=TF3G2AMFJW7GQ7PNC81Q&pf_rd_p=2902fad9-09e5-511e-a8fe-adb34fe3c5ec

tfsimmons
# Posted: 14 Jan 2019 19:22

It takes five or six minutes for my turkey fryer pot and boiler to heat up six gallons of water to shower temperature and I use a ZODI Outback Gear battery-operated shower pump that works well.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Jan 2019 22:35

Mr Heater Aqua Cube and a nice little cedar enclosure so there is enough room to change right inside the shower stall.
P1020639.JPG
P1020639.JPG

justincasei812
# Posted: 24 Jan 2019 07:56

Saw this on another site. Figured a container could be put on top for gravity fed water and it should be sturdy enough to hold the weight.
Shower
Shower

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 25 Jan 2019 10:40

I have seen a system that had a large bowl from an old commercial mixer made from aluminum. But any Metal vessel would work. Frame made from metal that supported vessel above a single burner Coleman stove . Weld a 3/4” coupler to vessel and plumb to your shower head or something similar to a Coleman sun shower. This sits above your shower stall. Fill it with water. Put the Coleman under the pot, light it to warm the water. When it heats up take a shower.
Seems my beautiful wife prefers to snuggle more if I clean up a bit.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 25 Jan 2019 11:39 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Bzzzzzt, found a great thread for you "share your shower pics".

Lots of great ideas including my shower.

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Mar 2019 15:27

Version 1.0 of our shower was heating water on the stove, 5gal bucket and Zodi pump. Took for ever hand pumping that water to heat then heating it.

Version 2.0 strap 55gal drum onto trailer. Fill at stream with 12v rv pump. Move trailer to shower area then use the same pump to supply the iheat portable propane on demand hot water heater. Works amazing and cost is about the same as a Zodi water heater yet the on demand water heater means endless hot showers. A 55gal barrel usualy lasts about 8-10 nice length showers.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 8 Mar 2019 16:38

Big fan of the Eccotemp L5. So much so I became a dealer here in Ontario. We rigged one up onto a mobile cart and converted a small shed into a washroom/bathhouse.
20160716_16.18.23..jpg
20160716_16.18.23..jpg
20160716_16.18.43..jpg
20160716_16.18.43..jpg
20160716_16.19.43..jpg
20160716_16.19.43..jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.