Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Self-powering Generator?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Anonymous
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 04:03

ur idea is good. but we cant use one generator and motor together because the power produced by gen will utilized to run motor so y we can,t use 2 gen. and 1 motor. 1gen supplies to motor and other gives to external use

Anonymous
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 08:01

what about no car alternator. they require a specific spreed ration and a substantial motor to turn it fast enough and a lot of draw to overcome the load on the windings/magnets. But what about two motors, one being a DC motor with a much higher voltage than required to charge the battery. A dc motor IS a generator. It requires a blocking diode so it does not turn as a motor but allows the voltage being produced by it to go to your battery.

If on used that is say, 90 vdc, it would need to turn much slower to get to your needed 18 volt target to charge a 12v battery. Just a thought. There are a couple you tube videos of guys who have done similar things. I cant say they are completely self sustaining, but they can at least CUT energy dependency if not end it.

One guy rewired a generator head. He is only getting about 25% of the generator heads original rating, BUT he is powering a 120 v motor with it that then turns the gen head. He then runs a drill press and a grinder. No battery anywhere. He dose have to initially start the 120v ac motor with wall power, but I would think if a storage battery and an inverter were added to his system, that could be used for the initial start up.

Defy laws of physics, no. Make them more streamline. MAYBE One thing is for sure. nothing moves forward without someone trying!!

Rifraf
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 10:20 - Edited by: Rifraf

You cannot get more power than is put in, but using nature as a power source it can seem like you do.

Some options,

Use a stream or creek with heavy steady water and put a mill generator in it.

Lots of solar and wind generators,

If you are near a large coastline you can create a wave generator, basically a large tube with a one way fan/generator at the top, the pressure from the rising and dropping water level will continually spin the generator, ive read some very good result stories on these being used in large groups, the ocean is very powerful! Im not sure how "legal" it is to drop these anywhere you want though.

Simply using a clever gear ratio wont create energy from thin air.

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 10:47

If you believe this can be done I have a carburetor I'll sell you; 200 MPG in a Ford Excursion.

bobrok
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 14:28

I'll buy it!
SOLD!
where do I send my check?

COTTONPICKER
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 09:25

It never fails to amaze me how people continually buy into the idea of "PERPETUAL MOTION".

Friction, wind resistance & inertia all conspire untiringly to defeat this wonderful dream.

Even if perpetual motion could be achieved there would be little or no usable excess energy available to tap into.

If it were possible it would already be in effect World wide.

By the way, the Earth is NOT a big perpetual energy machine spinning on it's axis ad infinitum.

The rotation of the earth is GRADUALLY slowing down at all times.

Dream the American Dream fellows.

Respectfully,

Cotton Picker

bobrok
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 17:09

Quoting: COTTONPICKER
It never fails to amaze me how people continually buy into the idea of "PERPETUAL MOTION".Friction, wind resistance & inertia all conspire untiringly to defeat this wonderful dream.Even if perpetual motion could be achieved there would be little or no usable excess energy available to tap into.If it were possible it would already be in effect World wide.

Ahhh, but you have never met my wife! ;)

analogmanca
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 13:47 - Edited by: analogmanca

Cotton picker is correct, Friction, wind resistance, inertia all contribute to load down the system.
I suggest for those wishing to persue over unity devices please start small, perhaps with a system not effected by those drawbacks.
A single solar panel directly feeding a light bulb, and that light bulbs light reflected back on the solar panel would be a good place to start.
Please use proper saftey precautions full welding leathers, and a welding mask just in case the positive feedback gets out of hand, and melts wires or the intensity of light becomes blinding, keep fire extinguishers handy. May the force be with you.....

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 16:49 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: analogmanca
A single solar panel directly feeding a light bulb, and that light bulbs light reflected back on the solar panel would be a good place to start.

I doubt that's going to go anywhere fast.
PV module efficiencies are still less than 20%.
There's still no free lunch.

analogmanca
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 20:58 - Edited by: analogmanca

MtnDon,

(shakes head) I dont know how you could think I was serious? I even advised wearing full protective gear, said may the force be with you....
agreed...there is no free lunch. I was hoping there was a sense of humour

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 21:34

Well, I guess I missed that. Sometimes I take things very literally.

Sure wish we had built in smileys to indicate mood.

Loren
# Posted: 16 Jan 2012 06:08

I was taught this in eighth grade science. Friction and inefficiencies will drain the battery. The conversation has been interesting but if its too good to be true it probably isn't.

Lofren

George
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 07:46

I think this is a tremendous idea and is absolutely possible. There are some types of motors used in the Middle East for swamp cooler and they hardly take any power, less than an (amp).

What you can also do is connect the low energy motor to your normal electriciy to rotate the generator and the generator will feed all your house so you are only using a small amount of electricity from the national grid whitch means you will receive smaller bills.

I'm working on that currently, if it works i will let you guys know.

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 09:40 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: George
What you can also do is connect the low energy motor to your normal electriciy to rotate the generator and the generator will feed all your house so you are only using a small amount of electricity from the national grid whitch means you will receive smaller bills.

Well, I for one am not going to hold my breath on that George. But do let us know how things go. Verifiable documented, instrumented proof is all it will take.

TomChum
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 10:50 - Edited by: TomChum

Generator runs an electric motor that turns the generator, and you tap into that power to run your coffeemaker and microwave.
Lightbulb feeds a solar panel and you use the extra light to read your national enquirer. Sounds feasible but everybody shoots it down without ACTUALLY testing this.

Isn't there one of 6 billion people in the world who will actually TRY this rather than 5,999,999,999 just shooting it down? Move FORWARD, people!

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 14:29

Have you ever checked to see what the efficiency of a solar PV panel is?

I'm not sure what they're up to now, 20%? ??? That is calculated by measuring the intensity of the light falling on the panel and measuring the electrical power the panel produces. There really is no free lunch.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 14:47

Quoting: Loren
I was taught this in eighth grade science

Yes we were taught that way because those who control the money, oil and food are the ones that made up the courses and how they are taught....They do not want us to get anything for free because it is what makes them money.
The technology is there for free and clean energy, but THEY would not benefit from that?
Why are patents always denied for those who invent technologies that are better than current ones?? Hmm makes you wonder....
Apple could have had an iphone4 five yrs ago! but they make more money by slowly realeasing technology as if it is the new and latest thing....another example: first we had records, then 8 trak, cassette tape, CD, MP3, DVD and now Blueray...with each new technology you have to buy all the new products that go with it....Now apply this to OIL and electricty! Staggering huh!!!
OK...Im done! But the technology is out there somewhere!!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 16:31

silly

Owen

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 19:05

Quoting: OwenChristensen
silly

Its not silly...its Marketing 101...if your in business you do this to maximize profits and keep those profits coming in at a regular pace.
Just sayin'...

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 19:35

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
Why are patents always denied for those who invent technologies that are better than current ones??

Are they? Can you point to one or two; might be interesting.

....another example: first we had records, then 8 trak, cassette tape, CD, MP3, DVD and now Blueray...

Records were the answer to the wax cylinder that preceded records.

8 track and compact cassette were competing technologies; they were introduced within a couple years of each other. Compact cassette technology was superior and it won out. That's what I bought. That's the free marketplace at work. Compact cassette was/is much more convenient than records. Can you imagine a record player in a car? It is a natural technical evolution. It is annoying when one technology is surpassed by another, especially when you own the surpassed equipment. But there are many advantages to CD technology compared to cassette.

The 8 track vs cassette thing is similar to Betamax and VHS video formats. Two different virtually simultaneous developments. I bought Betamax and missed the boat for longevity. Then I had VHS tape. Now I have DVD, but no Bluray. I have to admit I like the DVD better than any tape.

There will always be progress in technology which will translate into new equipment. You can't legislate against progress like that and I don't think we'd want that either.

That sort of progress, that sort of evolution, is not a conspiracy, it is simply people thinking and trying to make a product that does something better.

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 19:36

Its not silly...its Marketing 101...if your in business you do this to maximize profits and keep those profits coming in at a regular pace.

You're meaning that DVD technology was known, but held back when cassette tapes were duking it out with 8 track? ???

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 19:41

YOur right that is the progression of technology but the electric car came first! Who squashed that??

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 20:31

I think the marketplace squashed the early electrics.

Electric cars were great in the early days of automobiles. As the country grew and more roads were built connecting cities that were more distant from one another. The electric car couldn't travel the distance. Gasoline cars could because gasoline tanks could be refilled with simpler equipment than electric cars. And faster to fill a gas tank than recharge the batteries. It's the same problems faced today.

Improving on the lead-acid battery is not so simple it seems. We do have better batteries today in the form of Lithium ion batteries. The problem is that lithium is not as common or easy to get as lead, making it more expensive.

GM made the EV-1 as a sort of an experiment years ago. It's true they pulled the plug on them. They had problems. There is more info out there in the form of paper books that trace the history of that project. It's not a total conspiracy like the movie that was made.

Perhaps at some point we will really have a variety of good electric vehicles to choose from. But then where does the electricity to recharge their batteries come from?

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 22:07

The closest thing I have ever heard of that MIGHT be useful to generate power indefinitely is a hybrid of hydroelectric and photovoltaic power. Theoretically, you set up a hydroelectric closed loop where you generate power by flowing water through turbines. Then, you use solar power to pump the water back up to the top of the loop where it begins the process all over again. Doesn't sound too efficient, but then again it sounds as if it might work. It doesn't exactly count as perpetual motion, but it's the closest thing to it that has any real potential. Then again, if you have enough solar power to run a pump, perhaps you don't need the water portion of the system after all. LOL

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 Jul 2012 08:34

Maybe a cross between and Everglades fan boat and a sail boat could be fun, just turn the fan around to blow on the sail. How about that?

Owen

PA_Bound
# Posted: 26 Jul 2012 08:58

That would be a fun experiment. You would have the resistance of the airflow through the fan pushing one direction, against a sail being pushed in the opposite. An interesting indicator of whcih is more efficient.

rayyy
# Posted: 28 Jul 2012 06:58

Heck Yahhhh,I'll take one.Heck.I'll take a hundred of them.Heck I'll be your marketing manager.Just think of the possibilities.

sk8r89
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 12:28

your going to need to figure out an equation for your motors voltage, hourse power, pully size for rotations and load on the motor, and output there is alot to consider but i tink if the right people start working on something like this together and sharing there findings we could get something to work but not only work but after we do that we can make it better and more output with tweeking it

rayyy
# Posted: 4 Aug 2012 08:18

You know your all on to somthing there.I wantta mount my 4 solar panels to the cab of my truck.I'm gonna weld on a pully to the crank shaft of my generator,pully welded on to my right rear tire rim.Connect the two by a v-belt.bolt the wind mill blades directly to my left rear tire rim,secure the motor somehow.All connected to the battery bank in the front right seat .So no matter what,Ill always have charged up batteries!,,,Hummm???I should try this on a Chevy Volt!

Malamute
# Posted: 6 Aug 2012 01:12

There are a few holes in the theories. It isn't just the rolling resistnace of a motor that causes drag. when running a generator, the higher the load on the power output, the more drag, it will pull a gas engine down trying to keep up with the load demand. Just because a swamp cooler motar can run on low amps doesnt mean that moor will do other thinsg, like run a generator, without much amperage draw (and drag). Like has been said, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. (TANSTAFL)

If it was that simple, it would have been done. Not everybody believes everything they've been told, and not everything being taught is a conspiracy of big business to keep themselves in power. Take off the tin foil hats and let your hair down a bit, there's a big wonderful world out there. a few people, maybe more thana few, are quite capaqble of thinking for themselves, and trying to build free power isnt the only manifestation of that. You'd probably only be about the 10,000th person that tried it, but feel free.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but this has gone a bit silly in some of it's content.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.