Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / propane standby generator value
wakeslayer
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 09:25 - Edited by: wakeslayer

Hey all,

I have a propane fueled DC standby generator that i have been trying to sell for a couple years. It is a DCathlon 3.0kw. Mfg date 01/97. It has 566 hours on the gauge. I have all the hoses and cables for it. It is enclosed in an outdoor housing. It is probably 250-300 lbs.
My understanding was that it was used at a RR crossing in western MT for a few years.
I have listed it on CL a couple times and had numerous calls but no one ever bought it.

Any opinions on the value of this unit? It came with my cabin as part of the deal. I have a completely different set up and do not need it. I have had it stored in a storage garage since 2005.

While this is more of an opinion seeking thread, and not an ad, it is for sale if anyone in the PNW has any interest.

Let me know what you think.

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 20:28

Electric start? Runs only on propane or is it multi-fuel?

analogmanca
# Posted: 19 Mar 2012 02:02 - Edited by: analogmanca

wakeslayer
First I should say I know a little about engines, but not much about yours. The Decathlon was a cummins product I think- and with out hesitation I would run away from it 2000 and on, though by the weight you give it may have been a Onan aj series engine that cummins rebaged when they took over Onan. If so that could be a old Onan engine that was good, you really need to give more info, rpms it runs at, spec, and model number, then I can get a better idea.(you wont be getting rich either way though)
I have two of the 1800 rpm Onans on propane(aj series) from 1983 Payed 150 a piece for them, and would never sell them at 5 times what I paid as that quallity cannot be found anywhere at any price nowdays. Not one piece of plastic crap anywhere on them, and the start windings wound into the alternator coil so no seperate starter was required. Any part repairable by anyone remotely capable, no expensive field regulators for the alternator just solid ST style alternator windings, Quallity not built anywhere, at any price anymore in any genset under 12kw. I suspect it may be the aj series set up at 3600 rpms but you need to give more info.
Sadly quality is not valued anymore, no one will pay a premiem for it. In fact few can recognize it. Price will be decided by what a new 3kw unit will sell for divided by roughly 2.5 maybe by 3 because of the age and hours on it, and divided by 4 if a 3600 rpm genset. (even with a known good engine).
@3#$ I just re read your question, it says 3kw dc That is a very different animal. give me the specs, and I may be able to give you advice on how to make use of it

wakeslayer
# Posted: 20 Mar 2012 11:01

Hi

Thanks for the reply. My photo of the badge is somewhat poor.

DCathlon D-4030
3.0 KW
48v DC
SN 961C036
mfg 1/97
DCA 58

It says 4100 on it, but I do not know what that is in reference to. I will be out there in early May and get better info. Let me know if the above makes any more sense to you than my original description.

I am not trying to get rich, I more just want it out of my storage locker. I do think it has some value, I just need to find the right buyer.

thanks again

Mike

analogmanca
# Posted: 22 Mar 2012 03:15 - Edited by: analogmanca

wakeslayer
I am scratching my head. 3kw at 48 volts, I still suspect the engine of being Onan but that generator is unusual. For fun I would hook up a stinger, and ground, and see if you could weld with it, Parameters are close. Drop the rpm a bit, wrap your stinger lead around a pipe a dozen or two time to make a stabilizer, and you might have yourself a stick welder, for small rod.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.