Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Internet at your cabin - boosting cell phones
jrbarnard
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 06:57

Okay... so a lot of folks want to live off the grid... me, I want to live vicariously when not at the cabin :P

So, in a couple deer stands, I have enough cell phone reception to send a text signal, but I do not have electricity.

I would LIKE to set up a live camera that can, at the very least, send photos, if not a live video stream.

Any ideas out there for doing this?

I was thinking that maybe I could set up a really tall pole with a cell phone antenna or something up top and run it off of solar or something?

I just would like to log into a web page or something and either check out the pics or .. whatever.

Just seeing if anyone had any ideas for this ;)

R

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 07:35

I have about the same as far as reception too. It would be so cool to see what going on at the feeder when I'm not there.
I met a fellow closer to the city that had a '' eagle cam '' wjere he had a camera next to the eagle nest and would broadcast to the cell tower. How'd he do that?

Owen

jrbarnard
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 08:44

Well, they have setups that can do it.. I just need to figure out if there is a way to run a cell phone booster off of solar.. if I can do that.... I can make it happen :P

R

Dillio187
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 08:46

there are a few game cameras out there now that use a sim card (from ATT or T Mobile), they will text picture messages to your cell and email. I've been thinking of getting one for at my property.

razmichael
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 09:17

Quoting: jrbarnard
Well, they have setups that can do it.. I just need to figure out if there is a way to run a cell phone booster off of solar.. if I can do that.... I can make it happen :P

I've ordered a Wilson 801245 cell booster, directional antenna and re broadcast antenna (and wiring) for my cabin. I have very limited voice and data (depends which way the phone is sitting, the weather, my mood etc). I picked this model because it runs off 6 volts (my cabin is a 12 volt set-up) so, in theory, you could likely run it off a small solar set-up and battery. You need to have enough of a signal available to boost but the addition of a directional yagi antenna would provide much better chance than a omni directional. I'll follow up when I get it set-up and let you know how it works. Not cheap and this does not include what device you plan to use for picking up the cell signal and how you connect the camera's in and data plan etc etc.

TomChum
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 09:47 - Edited by: TomChum

There is another similar thread here:
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/3_988_0.html

I'm using this Wilson system:

Yagi directional antenna, 304411 (N-female)
20-foot 400 low loss cable 952320 (N-male both ends)
Amplifier AG SoHo 65 805045 (N-female both ports)
100 foot 400 low loss cable 952300 (N-male both ends)
Antenna inside 301135 (N-female)

It runs on 6vDC from my 12v system.

It works great. With no repeater I get 0-2 bars, ("E" network for data). With this setup I get 3-5 bars "ATT 4G" (which is similar to Verizon 3G)

jrbarnard
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 14:28

Hrm... good call folks. A 6-volt setup would work wherever I get signal (I get signal everywhere but it is hit or miss as to WHEN I get it)

I woke up one morning, no cell phone booster turned on, and I have vociemails and text messages. I turn on the booster, nothing.. but I have "5 bars".. lol go figure.

I can sit in 3 of my 5 stands and get texts out, and one of them I can make phone calls in, so with the right setup... should be able to get a signal somewhere.

I do not think I want 5 cameras each with a data plan.. heh...but one good setup on a nice feeder would be a blast to log into and watch.

Russ

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.