Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Off grid fan
skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 21:22

I just thought I would share a recent project I put together to get ready for those hot summer nights. If they ever get here this year!
I am off grid at my cabin and I wanted a way to move some air in my loft during the night when we are trying to sleep and it is hot and humid.
I had some computer fans at home so I put together a unit with 3 fans in it. There are two four inch fans and one eight inch fan. The fans are easily found at any computer store for very little money. They are 12 volt and in total they draw less than an amp of power and put out 250 cfm's. I wired in a switch and a cord that will plug into a receptacle I have wired for 12 volts. The box is plywood and the fan covers are 1/2" square wire netting found at TSC. It makes quite the breeze so I am looking forward to using it this summer. I call it my redneck air conditioner.
12v fan
12v fan
Fan from back
Fan from back

Sda1c
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 10:59 - Edited by: Sda1c

That is really cool! Had you though of putting it on hinges to be able to swing it back to the wall when not in use? I think I might steal your idea if you don't mind.

creeky
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 18:20

dem bones dem cool bones

Alaskaman
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 19:19

Sweet!

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 16 Apr 2013 00:25

I didn't think of hinges but that is a cool idea. I guess I was thinking of it as being portable so I can move it around if I want to. Feel free to steal the idea! That's why I thought I'd post it here!

Deo vindic
# Posted: 23 Apr 2013 11:32

GREAT IDEA

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 23 Apr 2013 13:06 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

(sorry if this appears as thread high jacking), but here's how we handled the daytime heat of the camper:

I used walmart's "ozark trail battery operated 12 volt fan" @ $14.00/ea. and hot wired into the optional dc jack plug's (inside the unit) pins. I soldered on the desired length of power lead and connected it to a marine 12volt cigarette plug.

For the cost of the "12 volt endless breeze" make of fan, I was able to build (2) of these and have money left over!

For those that wonder, on the HIGH setting, these 10" fans move quite a bit of air (when connected to a HD 29M battery) and can cool down our camper in the evening time quickly.

I plan on making a couple more to use in the shed mahal's loft windows for this summer too!

Just another way to skin the same cat...

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Apr 2013 20:29

A good idea as well!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.